Joy Division "Unknown Pleasures" puffer jacket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/joy-division-unknown-pleasur.html

Feels wrong to me.

5 Likes

agreed. kind of gross but i’m not sure why.

3 Likes

What you really need are Joy Division Oven Gloves…

1 Like

Joy Division was a financially - and emotionally - struggling band, and this thing costs 250 bucks. That’ll do it.

4 Likes

Much like how the “OBEY” Clothing line from hypocrite/hack Shepherd Fairey is made in fucking CHINA, I’m not sure Ian Curtis’ ghost loves charging people $240 for a jacket that costs maybe $30 to make.

The site says “Imported,” and that isn’t good.

I’d prefer to honor people I admire by living according to my heroes’ values than by buying made-in-slave-labor-countries merch.

2 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

The clothing, including hats and t-shirts, feature a plot of radio frequencies of the first pulsar discovered by scientists, a visualization that Peter Saville b̶r̶i̶l̶l̶i̶a̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶r̶o̶w̶e̶d shamelessly pirated for the album’s cover art.

FTFY. When you copy audio waveforms without the owner’s permission, you are violating their copyright and the DMCA.

The whole point of a reversible jacket is so you can do crimes then escape, the same weird design interferes with the whole point!

its a cool coat though

That is so wrong on so many levels. Is that a real thing or some crazy bootleg?

5 Likes

the weird inverse design of the album art over the heart is the closest thing to the legendary uknown pleasures album art shirt shirt i’ve seen put into actual production

3 Likes

If this is wrong, I don’t want to be right…

Loved_Him__34768.1430515135.1280.1280

IIRC, you can actually buy those, there was a thread about it on the BBS some time ago but I can’t find it.

6 Likes

I love that shirt… I have the sci-fi geek version of it…

Yeah, that guy. I wear that when I lecture on Star Trek/Wars, Roddenberry/Lucas.

1 Like

The DMCA did not exist in the 1970s, and why would it apply to the UK?

1 Like

Download (65)

6 Likes

That’s… dated and nerdy. :rofl:

4 Likes

Dated and nerdy, that’s me…

2 Likes

Ian Curtis spins in grave so fast you could sharpen a knife…

2 Likes