JP Morgan, Marriott, and other major companies are stopping political donations after the Capitol Insurrection

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/11/jp-morgan-marriott-and-other-major-companies-are-stopping-political-donations-after-the-capitol-insurrection.html

9 Likes

This may be the single biggest thing that actually leads to Trumps impeachment and denouncement.

Seriously. If they refuse to fund politicians who vote to NOT impeach Trump, how many establishment republicans are willing to piss off their corporate overlords?

11 Likes

Narrator: they were lying

9 Likes

Also gonna add: It appears an insurrection is bad for business. :confused:

8 Likes

Who would have thought that donating to a party and politicians that have enabled right-wing populism would be a bad idea? (answer: most of us here, but none of those corporate executives until just now).

20 Likes

The leopards promised lower taxes.

17 Likes

Barn doors/horses, leopards eating faces, etc.

They gave money to people who outright said that they have hateful goals, and the result is hateful events, and now they say that they are going to stop funding them. I understand that corporate political donations are all about hedging bets to stay on the winning side but you shouldn’t bet on fascism winning and fund the fascists.

15 Likes

I mean, yay, I guess? These monstrous companies created these monstrous politicians and now they’ll go on to create more subtle but equally monstrous ones.

Citizens United is ruining America.

20 Likes

“JPMorgan, the largest U.S. bank by assets, said it’s planning a six-month suspension to both Republicans and Democrats”

This would be akin to a bank finding out a terrorist organization used it to funnel money and in the aftermath deciding to suspend all of their customers accounts for 6 months. In other words, fucking ridiculous bothsidesism.

15 Likes

Add Mastercard to the list of sudden conscience-havers.

11 Likes

“Guys, guys, guys! We’re trying to run an oligarchy here; fascism is just bad optics. C’mon”

16 Likes

“JP Morgan, Marriott, and other major companies are stopping political donations after the Capitol Insurrection” THEY ENABLED would have worked just as well as a title…

#NeverVoteRepublican

5 Likes

Ah, the old “make all the students put their heads down because a couple kids wouldn’t stop goofing off” tactic.

11 Likes

“Pausing” ≠ “stopping.”

5 Likes

“unhinged craziness” is bad for business. But the bigger factor may well be that the GOP lost the Senate. And these guys are not in the business of bribing politicians that are no longer able to give them stuff in return.

3 Likes

From their perspective, that party was the one that essentially promised to give them whatever tax cuts, deregulation, etc. they wanted. Kind of the problem when the only thing you think about it quarterly profits- easy to not even notice the idiots willing to overthrow the government just to stay/ get in power.

3 Likes

Great! Now stop advertising on Fox News for being complicit in perpetuating the false narrative that the election was stolen–resulting in the attack

Link on the above page that lists the advertisers and their contact info

7 Likes

I was coming in just to say that.

When Dow fucking Chemical considers you problematic, you done fucked up.

7 Likes

These people acted indecently, and against the best interests of the nation!

Reminds me of this though:
long-john-silvers

3 Likes