Judge allows rally violence lawsuit against Trump to proceed

But he was obviously “just kidding,” even though he used the term “seriously” and repeated “I promise” three times during the course of the statement.

11 Likes

Just kidding! ha ha

14 Likes

There’s literally nobody here that has ever said this. Maybe you have us confused with 8chan. (It happens all the time.)

9 Likes

Yeah, I when I saw that statement I scratched my head, rolled my eyes, made a scrunchy face, farted from smirking too hard, rolled my eyes again, raised my hands in disbelief and then went to check to see if I had I ever said such a thing!

I had not.

9 Likes

Aaccording to my stats, I’ve only read some 197K posts here so it’s possible I missed one of the unicorns this person is referring to.

I have a feeling anybody feeling this would go somewhere else to express it. Even our more conservative members that post regularly are definitely not pro Trump (or if they are, they keep it on the down low).

7 Likes

Trump unicorn

18 Likes

Which is exactly the kind of thing that tripped up the travel ban. Twice.

5 Likes

There you go again, listening to the words Trump says and considering what they mean! That way lies madness.

13 Likes

8chan has complained about bad nazis? Considering 4chan complains about 8chan’s nazis that sounds terrifying.

3 Likes

Please tell me that popcorn isn’t being made by Russian hookers in Trump’s hotel room.

14 Likes

Then you really don’t want to try the milkshake.

7 Likes

Yup. Those other times would constitute fine examples of the far more serious investigations of which I spoke.

3 Likes

"because violence had broken out at a prior Trump rally and that known hate group members were in the Louisville crowd, Trump’s ordering the removal of an African-American woman was “particularly reckless.”

It seems too broad to me. Its something that could easily be turned around as “because violence has broken out at Black Lives Matters events in the past the call for XYZ seems particularly reckless.” I may be further out on the free speech spectrum than most, but I really hope Trump wins this.

organizers are responsible for the actions of “bad elements” that attend their events
That part was dismissed.

I missed that. Glad to hear it.

Even with that said, I don’t think you can absolve Tmurp from responsibility for his crowds.

I agree, but I view it as a moral rather than a legal responsibility. His rhetoric and pandering to worst of human instincts means he should not have been elected, but it does not mean he should be jailed/fined.

1 Like

How about

“So if you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of him, would you? Seriously, okay, just knock the hell—I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees; I promise, I promise.”
—Trump to rally crowd in Iowa, February 2016

That seems to be getting much closer to passing the Brandenburg test. Why do you think that statement was not used in the lawsuit?

2 Likes

That makes him so mad, he feels like inciting someone to punch the judge in the face.

There’s one in the spotlight, he don’t look right to me…

1 Like

Just as his statements about Muslim’s being banned were used as some of the basis for the travel ban ruling, I would think quotes like above could also be used. It shows a pattern of incitement, and defines a mood or feeling that the rally’s had. Someone hearing the above quote would take it as a general message to subsequent arenas.

2 Likes

You could, but should you? Freedom of speech is absolutely central to any form of democracy, and allowing the government to restrict or punish speech based on a pattern of behavior or the creation of a mood or feeling, strikes me a a very dangerous and undesirable precedent.

Please understand that I am not in any way defending what Trump said or the way he said it. I consider a lot of what he says to be abhorrent.

The way I see it, however, is that the only time we are really supporting free speech is when we are doing so for someone we disagree with.

1 Like

You’re aware that US-style freeze peach absolutism is very unusual amongst democracies?

We prosecute hate speech and incitement to violence over here. This is not unusual.

As for dangerous precedents…who was it that just handed control of the most bloated military in the history of the world to a deluded fascist?

8 Likes

I Agree with you, our concept of free speech is quite distorted. I think we use it to our best and the same does not apply over to the other person when it comes to free speech.

1 Like