Judge dismisses charges against white woman who spat on black woman: "this is being spit on once again," victim tells court

Originally published at: Judge dismisses charges against white woman who spat on black woman: "this is being spit on once again," victim tells court | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I think you mean Gilshteyn here @beschizza. Prescott is the victim.

7 Likes

Knowing how things are, I actually wonder whether or not the victim WAS punished instead of the perpetrator.

Beginning to see the wisdom in “an eye for an eye”: Prescott should be allowed to spit on her attacker, free of charge. Or would that all of a sudden not be legal to the same extent?

Sassy We Did It GIF by Rosanna Pansino

6 Likes

I would have argued for assault with a deadly weapon. All kinds of diseases she could have been spreading.

There is ample legal precedent- a number of HIV positive people have been convicted for spitting on police.

I mean, I don’t know whether she has any communicable diseases, but then again, if I pull a gun on someone, I’m not sure how good a defense “it wasn’t loaded” is really going to be.

12 Likes

At least the civil trial court got it right.

16 Likes

Judge: “Say sorry.”
Gilshteyn: “Uh, sorry.”
Judge: “Okay, you’re free to go.”

8 Likes

“accelerated rehabilitation”

Holy shit. I mean, it’s one thing to have something like restorative justice, where it might be resolved quickly and you forgo lengthier punishments, but when you’re just telling the victim, “Oh hey, don’t worry, as far as we’re concerned it didn’t actually happen! No, there wasn’t any actual punishment, but now they know they did something bad. Well, presumably, as they took a class where we told them what they did was bad. That’s all that matters, right?”

That would be fitting, as the perpetrator was there for an anti-mask protest in 2021…

9 Likes

My thoughts on how it went:
Judge: “Say sorry" but really, fast. Like an auctioneer.
Gilshteyn: “Uh, sorry.”
Judge: “Justice, going once, twice, sold…”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.