Judge rules that Scientology boss David Miscavige has been legally served papers in sex trafficking case

I guess DM’s stats will be down this week.

5 Likes

My understanding (very hazy) is that while serving process in person is preferred and needs to be tried first, there is no requirement on specific process or legal right of the accused to be served in a specific manner. The goal is simply that every reasonable effort is made to notify the defendant, and the judge needs to approve alternate means. So while the judge explained their that they believed that Miscavige was deliberately avoiding process, that is just explaining their reasoning, intent is not required. All that is required is that the judge finds that the plantiffs made sufficient attempts to serve process in the traditional way, and then approve suitable alternatives.

8 Likes

Yup. Failure to show up to one is grounds for civil contempt charges or even default judgment to the plaintiff.

11 Likes

I’ve noticed recently that more civil servants are leading the charge against egregiously law-flaunting public figures. See also: the National Archivists being the point of the spear about Trump’s missing classified documents. No wonder Republicans et. al are down on them.

10 Likes

It would be funny if his wife had turned the tables on him and he was being held in an undisclosed location.

I guess I’ll just have to settle for him in Supermax.

10 Likes

This is all I’m going to say about this matter:

ha ha simpsons GIF

9 Likes

Miscaviage (of justice)
… is what bwings us togevver… today.

14 Likes

I think this is as much about territory and relevance as being angry about law-breakers. When some collections got moved to Archives II at College Park, the internal battles were legendary. There are still Record Group boxes with labels torn off that will never be “found” and re-cataloged.

8 Likes

So much for archivists for being “above the frey”…

7 Likes

Ooh! I was thinking about visiting Curaçao on vacation next year. Maybe I’ll be able to get a tour of the boat!

3 Likes

It seems to be in Aruba at the moment.

There used to be a webcam.

5 Likes

I assume Trump’s assigned secret service agents have orders to report if they suspect that he’s about to disappear.

1 Like

Shit! I’m literally replying from in the air on a flight from Aruba to Toronto. Vacation’s over, but at least now I know what boat that was off of the port of Oranjestad.

8 Likes

Enjoy the sunset, boingers.

9 Likes

I was talking about Miscavige?

3 Likes

What the…? Sorry! That was for…

Oh, les pane… les pane!

4 Likes

I do hear that all historians look alike! :wink:

6 Likes

Damn my 6" x 12" cursor arrow!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.