Judge who accepted private-prison bribes to send black kids to jail sentenced to 28 years

In a shared cell, of course.

I read “Scope” as a balance of courage, resignation, personal involvement and empowerment. If the child being sent to prison for writing something online was the only son of the police officer guarding the courtroom, I imagine something would have been said. Of course, this is a fantasy situation; the policeman’s child would never ever stand there. Yet, many of the court staff witnessed this sadistic and unconstitutional abuse of power watched and did nothing despite taking an oath at some point in their lives to uphold the institution.

I see them as accomplices.

Punishment will not change such participants in abuse, it will only scare them and make them more isolated, less likely to take risks. We need an environment and transparency built into the system, with tools which let people easily flag abuse. Craigslist has it. Why not the judicial system? (This is more of a rhetorical question )

And to everyone who mentioned that this is likely not a racist case… You are probably right. Yet, the percentage of the people of color abused by this court is higher, so I think it’s fair to remind everyone that race has to do with going to jail, corrupt judge or not.

1 Like

To describe something that I don’t expect to ever happen, yes.

Au Contraire. Look at that bloke who wants to be mayor of NYC. Outrage every where!

DIS INFO ALERT

This article asserts the victims of these judges were all “black,” and that the “MySpace” conviction was of a “black” girl. Both claims are untrue.

There’s a photo of the “MySpace” girl in this article; as anyone can see, she is “white,” not "black:

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/03/147876810/after-scandal-new-rules-for-juveniles-in-pa-courts

I’ve provided evidence the claims made in this article are false, while the author of the article provides no evidence his claims are true.

Race-baiting is despicable, as are false claims such as these which are intended to incite people into further division and increased mistrust and hatred of one another. Who stands to benefit from a race war in the USA? The police state.

Please be more responsible in what (dis)info you choose to disseminate.

Peace,

“picture of MySpace” girl is here (Sorry, new users can’t put images in posts):

“Ciavarella sentenced Hillary Transue to a wilderness camp for building a MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal.”

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/03/03/transue-adeb9bb99ae45f15ffa8da022fff8f1f7d6af0ad-s3 DOT jpg

What evidence is there that racism has anything to do with this case? The “MySpace” girl was “white,” not “black”.

Race-baiting is despicable, as are false claims such as these which are intended to incite people into further division and increased mistrust and hatred of one another. Who stands to benefit from a race war in the USA? The police state.

What evidence is there that “poor black” kids were disproportionately targeted? The “MySpace” girl is “white,” not “black”.

@pcon, rather than leaving multiple short posts, especially if they’re saying exactly the same thing, you can highlight and reply to multiple posts at the same time. It makes for a better, cleaner discussion.

Thanks for the tip, Felton. I didn’t know about the multi-reply feature, sound though like it might have come in handy. I didn’t mean to spam, but too many people are trying to inject race into a story about class, and the administration of justice. Disinfo is a disservice, and needs to be called out. Next time, maybe I’ll read the entire collection of comments, and decide which ones to multi-reply with one post. The natural course of events is to read, one at a time, and respond, one at a time. To each post that is BS, I call, “BS”. Peace,.

Why are you injecting race into a story that has nothing to do with race? Please provide evidence to back your claims that “black” kids were disproportionately targeted. I’ve researched this story, learned of it lo-o-ong before these judges were charged and brought to trial, when they were still sending kids to a run-for-profit jail. Unless you can provide evidence of a racist bias, you yourself are expressing your own.

So are “blacks” targeted disproportionately for arrest? Or more likely to commit crimes? What are you suggesting?

Interesting that so many are claiming these criminal; judges sent “black” kids to jail, but no one says anything about “poor” kids. YUOu know, those ones - “white” and “black,” who can’t afford legal defense. Read the articles on this case, most of the kids were sent to jail after having waived their rights to legal representation.

These kids were sent to jail because they could not afford a lawyer, not because they were “black”.

Even if more “black” people are targeted for arrest, that means nothing regarding the specific decisions of these two men, who targeted youth from poor families who could not afford a lawyer, not “black” kids". This case has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with government corruption. Are we the “99%,” as some so like to say? Or are we the 49.5% (female) and the other 49.5% (male), or are we the 72% (“white”) and the other 28% (“brown?”)? Why wait til the enemies of democracy divide and conquer us, let’s just do it ourselves! Identity politics torpedoed the progressive ship; as it takes on water, progress is arrested, redirected from a forward course to a sinking one. While hanging on to obsolete ideas about race and identity, self-titled “progressives” prove themselves to be nothing but reactionaries carrying on the outdated and discredited racist and sexist divisions handed to us by the established order.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.