Florida police chief gets 3 years in prison for framing 3 innocent Black men

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/27/justice-served-for-once.html

7 Likes

“When I took the job, I was not prepared,” “the 53-year-old former cop”

You were just a kid! 3 years isn’t anywhere near long enough.

18 Likes

“Making robberies into larcenies. Making rapes disappear. You juke the stats, and Majors become Colonels.”
—Prez (The Wire)

19 Likes

Three years!? this is one of the few crimes that I believe calls for capital punishment.

4 Likes

the article mentions one of the men served five years, and was then deported. seems to me all of the officers involved - including the chief - should have to serve at least that.

31 Likes

Hopefully this will lead to more of these cases, there are no doubt many more like him going unpunished.

11 Likes

3 years is a mere drop in the bucket, but at least it’s a start.

20 Likes

I bet there’re some people in prison who won’t like this guy much.

8 Likes

If i read about this happening in many European countries I’d think 3 years was fair. 3 years in prison is actually a really rough sentence to have to serve.

But in America, fair sentences are only handed out to white police officers committing racist crimes against black men. And so what looks to me as an outsider like an objectively fair sentence is instead a tool of racist oppression.

It’s almost like the state treats black people horribly so that white people will see even mediocre or substandard things as special treatment.

25 Likes

From the article:

His lawyers called into question “any notion that random people were targeted for arrests or that race played any factor in the arrests of any individuals.”

“Quite the contrary,” Atesiano’s defense attorney Richard Docobo wrote in court papers seeking a two-year prison sentence. He said the three men falsely arrested in 2013 and 2014 had a history of criminal activity in the suburban town north of Miami.

“They were no saints,” Dacobo told the judge on Tuesday.

This is exactly how an enormous amount of police misconduct and brutality gets excused. The people getting confessions beaten out of them are usually not folks you’d invite to dinner at your house, so it’s less upsetting. The guy who got framed for a crime he didn’t commit had committed other crimes, so what’s the harm? The kid who got shot was “no saint,” so that makes it ok that he got killed.

Fuck this guy in perpetuity–he deserves a sentence ten times as long for this kind of violation of public trust.

18 Likes

14 Likes

Man, first he betrays Neo, now this?

8 Likes

Or at least 3 life sentences.

3 Likes

The sum of all time served, doubled.

8 Likes

That is almost exactly one of the arguments used to defend slavery in the US. Politicians even quoted the Bible to substantiate it.

10 Likes

unless any of them are guilty of the crimes he framed others for in which case it’s all good.

2 Likes

3 years. He go off easy. I hope the victims get millions for their suffering. They deserve more.

6 Likes

Don’t go blaming Joey Pants for this!

2 Likes

See also:

— Zinn

9 Likes

Dickhead, have fun in the gray-bar hotel.

2 Likes