Florida police chief gets 3 years in prison for framing 3 innocent Black men

Florida man becomes Florida cop becomes Florida prisoner.

4 Likes

Only 3 years? I guess i’ll take whatever small victory is there to have, especially against corrupt cops but i think but still think that ruining innocent people’s lives is worth more than 3 years or a money settlement.

6 Likes

This is the standard rationale: "We were framing the guilty."

And if they are The Other, they must be guilty of something.

7 Likes

I bet “the system” keeps him comfortable and safe, relative to all the PoCs in prison.

3 Likes

He should also serve the sentences his victims were facing from the crimes he tried to pin on them.

5 Likes

very likely he’ll go straight to parole, or almost so after a few months served.

2 Likes

Cypher : I don’t want to remember nothing. Nothing. You understand? And I want to be rich. You know, someone important, like a chief of police.
Agent Smith : Whatever you want, Mr. Atesiano.

6 Likes

Is Howard Zinn the only honest historian in America?

“hopefully they’ll receive some form of restitution.”
You’ve got to be kidding, Xeni. This is Florida, girl. We don’t give no freaking restitution here.

You could make it fair and proportional by jus saying the sentence for framing people is the maximum sentence for each crime you framed them for, served consecutively.

2 Likes

Three years? So with time off for good behaviour etc, he’ll be out in time for the next election. Meet your new Congressman ®, Florida!

Dream candidate for the Republicans really, law and order, racist, utterly incompetent & compulsively dishonest, what’s not to like? (I mean yeah, its Florida so as a felon he can’t vote for himself. Bet a little thing like that won’t stop him from running and winning tho)

1 Like

Nah, there’s also @Mindysan33 :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Doesn’t seem fair to me, the falsely convicted served more time then he has been sentenced to. At a minimum he should serve that long. Giving him time to care for his mother who is diving however is fair, she didn’t frame anyone.

1 Like

This was overturned, he will be able to vote in the future. Isn’t that nice?

2 Likes

Giving him two weeks to surrender himself to prison because his mother is dying is another manifestly unfair part of this sentence. I really doubt any People of Colour, particularly those he framed, would have been allowed the same consideration.

2 Likes

I get it. I think the whole way we (and I include myself, as a Canadian) think about criminal punishments is wrong. Our instincts about how harsh they should be have been trained by a society that puts too many people in prison.

You can’t make up for harm done by harming the person who caused it.

I plotted murder rate vs incarceration rate (ignoring countries with very high murder rates) and the two basically just go up together (okay, that trend line is useless, but I need to try out Power BI sometime). Sure, murders cause incarceration, but only 3.3% of people in the US are in prison for “Homicide, Aggravated Assault, and Kidnapping Offenses”. Murder actually drives prison population far more in countries with lower prison populations, and doesn’t really drive high incarceration rates.

Putting people in prison more often and for longer leads to more crime, more violence (presumably putting no on in prison ever would also lead to more crime and more violence).

I think those of us who have grown up in very pro-prison countries need to recalibrate ourselves regarding how long a long time to spend in prison is. We also need to rethink the entire idea that if a crime seems severe we should want the person to have a long sentence.

Though, more pressingly, we need to stop being so goddamned racist (and don’t think I’m excluding Canada, our justice system’s racism against indigenous people is even more extreme than the US system’s racism against black Americans from some perspectives).

5 Likes

Jill Lepore is pretty great.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.