Pharma bro Shkreli and Fyre Festival fraudster McFarland both receive early release from prison

Originally published at: Pharma bro Shkreli and Fyre Festival fraudster McFarland both receive early release from prison | Boing Boing

4 Likes

But how else are they going to replenish contestants on ‘Dancing With The Stars’?

8 Likes

Billy McFarland might have been performing a public service, even if unintentionally.

3 Likes

If I recall at least for Skhreli, he was in prison 6 months before his sentence officially started, so he was given credit for that, plus 47 days off per year good time behavior. So, he served roughly 5 years. 5 years * 47 days = 235 days off his sentence. They like to move people to a halfway house 6-9 months before full release, and that would put him in a halfway house with 180 to 270 days left on his sentence.

He has 235 days left on his sentence. So, this is perfectly in line with how federal prisons operate for everyone.

3 Likes

Dumb asses. They should have known not to scam the wealthy; only scam the poor who can’t fight back. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

We’ll all stop complaining then.

5 Likes

I’m not telling people what to do. I’m just saying that federal prison times are basically 4/5th time if that if the crime isn’t a violent crime. So he didn’t get out early, he got out when he was supposed to

4 Likes

I had a vague memory that Trump had pardoned him, but I guess I was mistaken. It’s reassuring to know Shkreli couldn’t come up with the scratch to do that. And also they were released late enough that they won’t be able to run for office in the midterms, at least.

3 Likes

Theres no way that’d ever happen unless theres a significant bonus to Trump from doing that.

They have no benefit to him now, why would he lift a finger for them?

5 Likes

I’m wondering if the Wu Tang Clan gets to have any say in Shkreli’s prison sentence.

4 Likes

Well… no. That’s not how the criminal justice system generally works. They’re not the aggrieved party, legally. He didn’t get convicted for buying The Album.

3 Likes

FTFY.

7 Likes

The best thing that can be said about McFarland is that most of the people he screwed over were spoiled rich pricks, so watching all those wannabe social media stars marooned and hungry on a desolate and overcrowded island came with a good serving of schadenfreude.

I don’t care much about the investors Shkreli ripped off but jacking up the price of livesaving drugs like that is the kind of assholery that comes with a body count.

8 Likes

Both released, it’s an omen, I’m sure of it.

6 Likes

Perhaps someone could devise a way for them to con each other out of whatever worldly wealth they still have.

5 Likes

Then, and only then justice will be served.

3 Likes

Out just in time for Monkey Pox.

3 Likes

As i believe he’s somehow prevented from returning to pharma scams…
Look for shkreli NFT/cryptocoin ‘real soon now’.
(shkreli is pretty much what the pseudo-German term backpfeifengesicht was invented for)

Of course, but given that he’s a weasel and a former hedge fund manager, I expected he had the two million that Trump was allegedly asking for in exchange for pardons.

ETA also,he meets the general description of trump pardonees of “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

Both these greedy fraudsters will be back to scamming, only slightly delayed by the fact that the state had to step in to slide the glass floor under them. Such is the investment of the justice system in keeping white males afloat while it simultaneously leaves POC to go under.