Juice is basically sugar-water

Some folks, including myself, think the refined carb content in juice, soda, sweetened tea or coffee, beer and so on (as well as the lack of fiber, satiation-related disadvantages as the other stuff the article goes into) has worrying metabolic effects beyond what the brute number of calories would indicate.

I’m guessing Cory would agree, based on his previous posts about this sort of thing.

3 Likes

And yogurt!

Don’t forget the yogurt.

6 Likes

Jam has quite a bit of added sugar though.

A lot of smoothies include quite a bit of greens, with enough fruit to make it palatable + add some vitamins. They’re also more minced than “squeezed” so will include more of the pulpy material than straight-up Juice. Juices tend to include the juice of several of whatever fruit they are an extract of, whereas smoothies are closer to a 1:1 volume ratio. Besides, the best smoothies, you do kinda have to chew a little :slight_smile: I think it’s important to pull apart the “chew your food” argument from the “juice has a lot of sugar and not much else.” as they have different levels of correlative findings with ill health.

Apparently not. My Sister-in-law told us that in her nutrition class in medical school there was nearly a riot when the professor told them they probably shouldn’t have been drinking juice as kids.

7 Likes

I can see why, though. I recently read an article about how many potatoes are good for kids because it turns out that, you know, kids need to consume food to grow (something that we’ve apparently forgotten as we try to apply BMI scores that hardly even work in adults to children). My provincial government is saying that that “average child” should consume 1,500 calories a day. There’s a fact far more harmful than ignorance.

“Fruit juice doesn’t really contain any meaningful nutrients, so we should regard it as a treat rather than a staple” is useful information that counters a myth about it’s health benefits. “You shouldn’t have been drinking juice as kids” is a stupid as hell thing to say.

5 Likes

I’ve never figured out what makes a smoothie a smoothie. I used to think all smoothies had yoghurt, but since a lot of them have sorbet (or ice, soy milk and very ripe avocado), I’m beginning to think that a milkshake is just a smoothie made with milk and ice cream along with any incidental fruit.

3 Likes

The exception is what gives rise to an entire genre of food.

2 Likes

So there isn’t enough fiber that “with pulp” vs “without pulp” makes any real difference?

1 Like

Oh yea? Then why did I pay $400 for this Juicero, hmmm?

11 Likes

People have been shopping this “juice is sugar-water” meme since I was a child. Actually they usually start with “juice is empty calories” and don’t ramp up to “it’s basically sugar-water!” until after you’ve already laughed at them.

Fruit sugar is an excellent source of energy, water is an excellent source of hydration, unfiltered juices are a good source of fiber, unpasteurized and/or fermented juices are a great source of beneficial micro-organisms. Highly recommended for healthy people of all ages, fruit juices can help you gain or lose weight as you choose, and can be sustainably produced indefinitely.

Of course, if you don’t like the stuff humans and other mammals have enjoyed safely for thousands of years, you can always have some soylent with cyclamates and olestra. Mmmmm, taste the Science!

8 Likes

Isn’t a smoothie a sandwich?

6 Likes

So now what am I supposed to mix with all of this rum? Oh yeah, ginger ale. Carry on then.

3 Likes

Correction: juice is acidified sugar water—even worse for your teeth.

2 Likes

And depending who you ask, chocolate is a fruit, a vegetable, or a bean/seed—so it’s all good :smiley:

9 Likes

We tell our kids this all the time. It drives me nuts that ‘healthy snack’ at school and after sports means a juice box and a low-fat granola bar.

Don’t count calories; count grams of sugar.

6 Likes

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

M. Pollan

8 Likes

I’m not sure of your point - since this is about the article, which of their assertions do you take issue with? That eating fruit vs drinking it doesn’t make you fuller longer? Or that people who drink fruit juice aren’t possibly consuming more calories than they realize?

6 Likes

The larger point is

politics + food = shitstorm.

10 Likes

I see you have not eaten jam from NFLD.
Its basically just barely boiled mushed fruit with just enough sugar to preserve it.
TANGY!

(Also why I got told I was “ruining” the jam when I made some to normal jam standards!)

3 Likes

Apparently, that’s fine as long as you chew it.

People think juice is good for them. They’re wrong.

“Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people.”