Juice is basically sugar-water

I always thought a smooth operator was like a Gaussian kernel

6 Likes

As others have noted, this view has not trickled down to child care – they always give juice boxes to kids (and often even “juice” boxes, with 10% juice) in a misguided attempt to be healthy. Why can’t kids drink water with meals, or milk? Drives me up the wall.

2 Likes

So relieved to hear that.

Give the kids chocolate milk! 3.25% milk fat, apparently, but I could’ve sworn I’ve seen 1% chocolate milk as well.

3 Likes

Well, read the fine article, you know?

Try this for size:

At first glance, it is reasonable to think that juice has health benefits. Whole fruit is healthy, and juice comes from fruit, so it must be healthy, too. But…

Yah, but. Whoops, that’s actually true - juice has health benefits! The “but” (followed by a whole bunch of pragmatically nonsensical half-points like “oh, you won’t be able to tell if you’re full”) is intentionally misleading.

Cory does it too, although he’s referencing the primary source, so it’s not as egregious:

Look at the explicit dichotomy being set up between “healthy, good for you” and “fruit juice”. And that dichotomy is nonsense, flat out. Fruit juice is one of your very best health choices among available drinks; fermented, unfiltered fruit juice (such as cider for example) is fantastically good for you. Safer than water.

That’s nothing, a friend of mine is from Rhode Island, and says that from kindergarten onward, the kids there are given the choice of plain, chocolate, or coffee-milk cartons with lunch. She says recess was very intense.

4 Likes

IMHO, you’re ignoring the point of the article in favour of pedantry and pushing against the idea that fruit juice is universally recommended against, which isn’t stated anywhere.

I can break down the article into a few genericised talking points, from my opinion anyway:

1. Juice, regardless of health benefits, isn’t as healthy as eating whole fruit, but many people assume otherwise.
  2. High-calorie juice is an issue because people are consuming more (sometimes far more) calories than they may realize, contributing to the already-crazy obesity epidemic vs consuming non-caloric beverages

So, again, which of these points is at issue, in your mind?

8 Likes

I feel that is what you are doing.

The point of the article is don’t drink juice. The Internet is drowning in such articles.

The talking points you bring out, that are presented as simply supporting justifications for the thesis juice=bad, both amount to saying that people can’t be trusted to act intelligently (those other people, of course, that readers of the article, now informed, can safely look down on) because they make dumb assumptions and can’t tell how fat they are.

Seriously, that’s the way these articles work - it’s just like the “glass is a liquid” thing. It’s supposed to make you feel intellectually superior to the plebs by refuting obvious common knowledge. It’s annoying pseudo-intellectualism.

1 Like

I preferred this picture more when I thought it was a 70s painting of a laser destroying a planet :confused:

1 Like

You’re mostly right, but it kind of depends upon the circles you run in.

When my kids were young (and to put this in context, the oldest is starting university in a few months), it was quite the topic of discussion at the La Leche League meetings!

(But if you’re the kind of family who goes to or hosts LLL meetings, you’re probably doing a little research to begin with…)

1 Like

Read through all the responses and did not see this.

On average, one medium orange has 2 ounces (or 4 tablespoons) of orange juice in it.

So you would need to eat 4 oranges to get 8 oz of orange juice. I do not know too many people that would polish off four oranges at at time, but 8 oz is a small glass, and can be polished off in seconds.

4 Likes

Well, I definitely don’t eat four oranges every morning. I do find that I get the same amount of orangey morning satisfaction from one orange that I did from one small glass of fresh-squeezed OJ, but others’ MMV of course. Moving from juice to fruit has paid off for me in terms of helping reduce my sugar intake, per doctor’s orders, without any serious impact of my RDA of vitamin C.

3 Likes

It reduces the brain injury from their concussions!

1 Like

yeah, the article’s quotes use juice and smoothie interchangeably, of course juice has had the fiber removed and smoothies are the whole usable parts simply blended nothing removed. Both are loaded with nutrients. They make no distinction between fresh juice and high sugar boxed juices, blended vs extracted, etc. and bounce from of course too much juice is bad for diabetics, to…well lets just say it isn’t a thinking persons article. a fluff editorial with more misinformation then information.

sure boxed juice is basically uncarbonated soda, but if it was as simple as “chewing counts” you could simply chew gum while drinking boxed juice. obviously that is just silly. really it is the total fiber that counts and as long as you are eating a high fiber diet you are fine. people do need more fiber and less refined foods, but juice is the least of that equation. eating more leafy greens is the important bit.

well said.

how is that a choice? there is no choice, coffee milk for everyone!!!

6 Likes

Coast to coast, LA to Chicago, western male.

Well, shit. There goes my next weight loss idea.

5 Likes

for trying yourself, or for selling? :wink:

if the former, for yourself, then i’d recommend trying something a little more well rounded and healthy.

if the latter, for selling, then don’t let it being a bad idea stop you from making millions. that is basically the hollywood diet reversing the gum restriction because of modern advances in “chewing counts” non-research. you’ll be rich.

1 Like

Doesn’t grapefruit juice dramatically effect stimulants? I know I can’t take it with my ADHD meds.

2 Likes

You monster. Gin or Canadian whiskey.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the people who drink wine for the antioxidants but wouldn’t think of drinking grape juice.

1 Like

Does it stop short of “definitely not a beverage”, or does it go to crude oil and uranium hexaflouride?

1 Like