Drinking more water may help women avoid UTIs, new study says

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/drinking-more-water-may-help-w.html

2 Likes

PastelRipeFeline-small

5 Likes

My Dear Wife is drinking H2o right now.

10 Likes

I guess cause you’d piss more often?

5 Likes

A running facet never rusts. (Ancient Chinese proverb)

16 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes
5 Likes

While it may seem like most health myths are total bullshit, this one seems completely plausible if not almost obvious.

7 Likes

When I was in the Army, the advice was that instead of trying to keep track of how much you drank, make sure your urine didn’t get too dark in colour. Try to piss clear once a day, was the advice given during training.

OH, and the drill sergeants also would berate and belittle soft drinks, claiming that due to the sugars in them you ended up actually needing more water than if you hadn’t had anything to drink, that they would dehydrate you. Which is a myth, but with impressionable kids it worked well enough.

3 Likes

I think most women are going to do a spit take when they read this, like “Duh!”

10 Likes

This must be the follow-up study on the wetness of water at body temperature.

For me anyway, I find that after heavy exercise all the sugar in full strength gatorade makes me want to vomit.

2 Likes

And in related health reminders – this one’s for guys, too – the cranberry juice and UTIs thing is apparently bullshit.

Yet still one of the very few juices you can still buy in most stores that isn’t adulterated grape juice.

3 Likes

He was wrong about the reason not to drink them, but the sugar water soft drinks will kill you with diabetes, eventually.

So, speaking anecdotally (as one who suffered from repeated UTIs in my 20s) I can say that when one feels the beginning of an infection drinking as much water as possible (like, so much water that you really think you will be sick if you drink any more, like litres of water) usually does succeed in flushing out the problem and preventing a full blown infection from blossoming. So, yeah.

8 Likes

I never liked gatorade, i think one is better off either diluting it heavily in water or just drinking water.

1 Like

“Wicked pissah!” (Antiquated Boston colloquialism.)

2 Likes

I honestly came to the comments to type “duh!”

6 Likes

But no one else in the house likes it! Cranberry is the only way to ensure that some juice is available when I want juice.

6 Likes

Or, as a friend of mine often says (about some study or other)

I could have told them that! They could have saved themselves the trouble, and just sent the money to me!

1 Like