Juice is basically sugar-water

There’s a range of medications you’re not supposed to take with them, because they increase the potency of them, not sure if those are one of the affected ones.

IIRC traditional stimulants amphetamine and methylphenidate aren’t effected, and modafinil doesn’t have any issues with that for me.

I think it’s mainly to do with older classes of antidepressants. MAOIs (MonoAmine Oxidase Inhibitors).

I just read the article on grapefruit. I got it backwards.

1 Like

In the Western dietary context, pretty much everyone already has too much energy and plenty of hydration. And, AFAIAA, fruit juice has historically been an upper class luxury food. Peasants ate whole fruit when fresh, and preserved what they couldn’t eat into jams and pickles. Any half-rotten leftovers then got fermented.

If you like drinking fruity sugary stuff, that’s cool. I do as well. But be aware that fruit juice is, as even Cookie Monster would say these days, best treated as a sometime food.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Usually, the recommended treatment for reducing stimulant damage is lots of vitamin C. Much stimulant-related damage appears to be due to oxidative stress, which can be controlled with a good antioxidant. One of the best antioxidants around is sodium ascorbate…otherwise known as vitamin C.

So, researchers recommended that party people have a big morning after glass of orange juice, or something else with lots of Vit C, such as a grapefruit.

But then some other researchers discovered that grapefruit also contains a different compound, which inhibits the metabolic processes involved in eliminating drugs like MDMA from the brain. This slightly enhances the drug effect (and with some drugs, risk of overdose), but also substantially amplifies neurotoxicity.

5 Likes

You mean they don’t?

If you’re prepared to drink it, I’m prepared to include it in the hierarchy.

2 Likes

Cool.

Would “maple syrup” be above or below soda in the hierarchy, d’y’think?

2 Likes

And whatever you do, do not get involved in a debate about what makes a quesadilla a quesadilla. Hint: There’s no common opinion on whether cheese is a required ingredient.

1 Like

Depends on the soda, I would say. Since you didn’t specify, let’s consider Coca Cola Classic ®.

According to NutritionData, 100g of Maple Syrup contain 261 cal., 60g of sugars (go figure), and have a glycemic load of 39. In contrast, 100g of Coke from Burger King will have just 44 cal. and 11g of sugars, along with a glycemic load of just 2.

Oh, and supposedly the Coke will also make you feel more full.

So far so anti-Canadian, right? But the nutrient balance is definitely in favour of the maple syrup: 100/100 scores on zinc and manganese, as well as some calcium, copper, iron, and magnesium, vs. a big fat zero on all of the above for Coke. (7% of recommended daily intake of both calcium and iron, in fact. Drink 1.3L more and your calcium is taken care of for the day!)

So I guess it depends on what you’re trying to optimize or avoid.

Also, my data source is definitely at least somewhat screwy. Apparently Coke Classic contains no water whatsoever.*

Also, appreciate the difference between getting your Coke from McDonald’s vs. Burger King. Apparently they add salt packets to your drink at McD’s.

*OK, OK, they rely on data provided by the company, and I believe water isn’t a reportable ingredient as far as %DV goes.

1 Like

Aren’t there supposed to be taco trucks on every corner?

Of wait, Trump WON?!?

4 Likes

We make our smoothies with frozen bananas, among other things, which if whipped up by themselves makes a passable (non-dairy) ice cream.

1 Like

Deleted, because several other posters got there first.

Guess I should have kept reading before posting, huh? :wink:

1 Like

Indeed. I have a close family member that was specifically warned against grapefruit due to their drug regimen. It’s in a lot more items than you would guess, as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m totally drinking this wine “for the antioxidants” :wink:

2 Likes

5 Likes

… never mind :whistling:

1 Like

[quote=“Medievalist, post:32, topic:100580”]
Of course, if you don’t like the stuff humans and other mammals have enjoyed safely for thousands of years, you can always have some soylent with cyclamates and olestra. Mmmmm, taste the Science!
[/quote]Well that’s just ridiculous, people an animals have also died by the truckload through the consumption of natural foods. And why is science and healthy directly opposing forces? I mean,
even Olestra wasn’t dangerous except for the over-consumption of the food which is the only point the article is making, and the most important takeaway about diet period.

[quote=“Medievalist, post:50, topic:100580”]
Fruit juice is one of your very best health choices among available drinks; fermented, unfiltered fruit juice (such as cider for example) is fantastically good for you. Safer than water.
[/quote]Nevermind, I see we can criticize the authors for their perceived hyperbole, but are more than a little prone to comical hyperbole if it comes naturally.

1 Like

That applies to everything one can put in one’s mouth, of course. The premise of “fruit juice = bad” pseudo science is that humans can’t regulate fruit juice input, which is objectively false. I’m not claiming you can’t hurt yourself by overconsumption, I’m mocking the absurdity of holding up fruit juice (without even distinguishing between kinds of juice) as an ​unhealthy choice.

Your (and @orenwolf’s) comments about grapefruit juice and drug interactions stand in sharp contrast. That’s meaningful and useful in the way you’ve presented it, you’ve haven’t made spurious implications of value.

I’m glad you got the joke! :slight_smile: