Jumbo jet with 20 people aboard takes off with missing and damaged window panes in latest runway bungle

Yeah, I was also reminded of BA5390. Looks like windows poppong off is as traditional as afternoon tea.

3 Likes

Nearing! Max! Dynamic! Q!

4 Likes

I am trying to find more information. I think it’s unlikely that they would design a pressurized windows held on with adhesives only and on the outside of the pressure vessel. usually the window is bigger than the hole it fits in, and is fitted on the inside of the pressure vessel so that pressure forces it in place. And it’s not just two layers, modern airliners have at least three and sometimes more. From the AAIB report it looks like the outer acrylic windows actually shrunk and broke the seal with the frame, but then how did the plane reach FL13 without the inner panes also blowing right out? I remember at least one case where a cockpit window pane blew out because it was secured with the wrong type of screws.

A couple of others addressed the flight that had the cockpit blowout.

From the report the external windows fell inside the fuselage, probably in the space between the fuselage and the passenger cabin. Someone addresed debris being found on the runway but I’ve no idea what that is.

A window blowout at 14kft would not be expected. The difference in air pressure is only around 3psi at that altitude.

I work avionics not structures though.

4 Likes

As a motorcyclist in Australia, I have used this fact to remove a large spider from the back of my hand on a couple occasions. No need to shake or brush, just stick out hand and tilt.

2 Likes

Perhaps the people who run this website will expand functionality to airline bookings as well as hotels.

2 Likes

Runs the math…

Approximating the window as a 6" diameter circle, that’s about 28 square inches, so 85 pounds-force. Converting to non-standard units, that’s about 1.2 standard 10-year-olds standing on it.

Checks out!

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’m in awe of whoever did the camera placement.

2 Likes

A GoPro strapped to a gekko.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.