Jumping to 'Warp Speed' 1979-2021

Originally published at: Jumping to 'Warp Speed' 1979-2021 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

What, no ST:Discovery? The show’s been on the air longer than ST:Picard, so it falls in their range.

Is the whole world just writing that show off as non-canon?

7 Likes

Yeah that looks sus.

No original series or the early cartoon either. But something about the bible verse and god bothering at the end suggests that they have an agenda. One that has no place in ST for me.

9 Likes

Technically that flip thing isn’t a warp? It’s something else.

I don’t think the original series ever showed going into warp. The most you got was an engine sound revving up and some shaking.

Not sure about the cartoon.

2 Likes

I’m jumping to Warp Speed, Right Now!

8 Likes

8 Likes

You’re absolutely right. That was a big part of the buzz about ST:TMP : the audience would finally get to see the Enterprise going into warp! This was a huge deal at the time. For context, remember that this was only two years years after Star Wars and ILM had completely redefined what movie special effects could be, so all us nerds were quite excited to see it.

Touring the Enterprise in space dock was so much nerd joy that we could almost overlook the awful acting that defined the rest of the movie.

9 Likes

I like the part where the Starships go whoosh.

6 Likes

Even not counting the spore drive there are plenty of warp jumps in Discovery. Never understood the hate the show gets.

3 Likes

space-balls-funny

9 Likes

Touring the Enterprise in space dock was so much nerd joy that we could almost overlook the awful acting that defined the rest of the movie.

Almost.

4 Likes

It is crazy the CGI only starts to get satisfying by Star Trek: Enterprise, with the best execution going to the animated series toward the very end. The whole ‘Stretch Armstrong’ VFX is terribly weak IMHO regardless what warp speed physicists might argue.

1 Like

ST:TMP looks like they’re taking a shortcut through TRONspace.

2 Likes

I’m disappointed they didn’t include the wormhole sequence in ST:TMP.

2 Likes

I spent the entire video thinking how much I liked the spectral light-trail of the early movies… and then ST: Enterprise had everything I wanted

TOS and TAS hardly ever had any particular effect for going to warp—but the first episode of The Animated Series tried something different once

This is the only time they ever use the warp drive to jump through a solid object

This episode seemed to be a big influence on Space Battleship Yamato, which adopted the same warp effect among other things

2 Likes

I don’t mean that religion wasn’t a subject in the series, but the series wouldn’t have an episode ending with a quote about how god was great. Which is what happened here. No discussion. Just a bit of unchallenged god bothering as the “message”.

1 Like

Looks like authorial intent based on this comment from the uploader:

1 Like

Ugh…gate keeping fans are the worst.

2 Likes

I’m not a huge Discovery fan, but I’m not going to argue that it’s “not real Star Trek”. People with that attitude can show themselves the door.

2 Likes