JUMPSUIT: counterfashion ungendered monogarments

Jumpsuits are horribly impractical if you plan to take a piss any time during the day. They are pretty good if you plan to get filthy all day, especially if insects are involved.

But I find them impractical and ugly unless you need them. I don’t, wait… hold on a second… what does this say?

either from recycled Ivanka fiber, or you know, those old Star Wars sheets you have lying around.

You… you’re suggesting cutting up vintage Star War sheets? Wha? What is this? The room is spinning… ARGH - you’re dead to me, Boing Boing! You hear that, dead!

12 Likes

I’m in the Caribbean. Toddlers do that ALL THE TIME here. No one even bats an eye. It’s warm out, ya know.

4 Likes

Just what to wear to the Two Minutes Hate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zYlOU7Fpk

8 Likes

Not to be nitpicky, but a jumpsuit with only a front-open fly is not really unisex. It requires a woman to strip to the waist just to pee.

16 Likes

Yeah, my roommate did that sometimes.

2 Likes

tumblr_mep6sntUZu1qam9vgo1_500

2 Likes

Silly. Gender neutral is women taking up things that men wear or do! /s

11 Likes

Was prepared to hate this more but these are reasonably decent looking.

It’s universally irritating for le deuce, if that helps.

1 Like

I just got some of these for my husband.Theyr’e called Dickies. I’m not a big reader of current feminist discussions but to my mind anything in our culture marked “uningrndered” is defacto engendered as male. See: pee access. See also: Lego, most comics and video games.

7 Likes

No nitpicky. Pee is a thing.

3 Likes

I think this one really is unisex, or at least has been considered so for a long time

4 Likes

The issue is less about oppression, and more about safety. In WW1, women working in heavy industry wore sort of a uniform of trousers and a knee-length dress, although coveralls were not terribly uncommon. But any sort of loose skirt or long hair was a real hazard around machinery or open flame. I know that people have experimented with all sorts of “trapdoor” and “backflap” arrangements, but those tend to involve so much trouble buttoning or keeping away drafts that it is just easier to learn to work the coveralls.
Then you have the question of what goes under them. Many coveralls have two sets of pocket flaps, one of which lets you reach into your pants pockets, if you are wearing pants underneath. Some European companies use more of a bib overall, which can be tailored to present a more flattering look, and are much easier to deal with during necessary breaks.

3 Likes

I’m clear on the aspects of practicality/utility and repurposing fibers, but no garment really has a gender attached to it, so… why jumpsuits? Dickies work separates seem much more practical for mechanical work than the single garment here; these jumpsuits are almost as uncomfortable to look at as a unitard.

And the guy in the sweats next to Maggie here looks far more comfortable movement-wise than she does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVw7b8t-y0

I’m going to have to talk to LaFleur about this…

1 Like

Thadius Venture called…

Personally I think the world would be much nicer if we all wore a futuristic jumpsuit, but then I worry about how much of a pain it is to work with when going to the bathroom.

They should package each jumpsuit with a pair of footie pajamas. I mean, what happens after all that jumping around in your jumpsuit? A body’s gonna need a nap, you know?

1 Like

I’m surely more comfortable that way, when you’re half clad and there not here. :wink:

Rational Dress jumpsuit- $199.99

Work uniform store jumpsuit- $27.99

Rational my ass. Gentrifying, “slumming” douches.

4 Likes