Juror #2's media diet may decide if Democracy lives or dies

Bear in mind that every one of these jurors is a resident of Manhattan. The New York Times is the biggest “local” paper for this group, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a fair number of them even read the print edition.

12 Likes

Gonna nitpick the metaphors here sorry ahead of time.

Just… It’s much worse than that.

McDonalds is food and everyone knows it deep down. It’s also not really that unhealthy. It’s pretty nutritionally sound. You don’t have to order fries and a drink, you don’t even have to order a bun.

Comparing the two things kind of is a problem.

It’s “dirty” food right? Dirty gross food for gross fat conservatives? This… this is just marketing/branding about purchasing values. Purity through right thought and right eating! Noise in a noisy channel.

Getting all your news from Truth social is more like getting it from another government’s propaganda machine.

It’s information, but it isn’t just “unhealthy” because it was designed to deliberately harm or kill you.

But I suppose it’s also their duty to sit on that jury too because the process is dependent on some level of trust I guess. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

news.google.com - I get a lot from there, too. But it isn’t technically from Google… it’s just an aggregator to other news sites.

3 Likes

um…you know that you actually CAN pay them to get past the paywall. You know, if you wanted to read less crappy journalism than gets fed to you for free.

3 Likes

[citation needed]

9 Likes

I dunno - I’ve seen pretty much everyone criticize how the NYT delivers news, but that’s neither here nor there.

But my point being, if you questioned a random set of people, I would not expect 72%+ of them have paid access to the NYT.

@ChesterKatz Pointing out that being in NYC and the NYT is the local paper, that makes a lot more sense. I imagine there are copies at Starbucks and cafes where people at least occasionally check it out.

Like I never read USA Today, unless I happen to be at a hotel with them lying around.

4 Likes

I can’t believe that there’s not a category in the “where do you get your news from” for those of us that get it from left wing satire podcasts

5 Likes

Thanks.

Damn.

1 Like

Actually, many libraries offer access to NYT via their subscription, either paper or online.
Myself, I get a fair amount of info from The Guardian.

5 Likes

It’s new york city. It’s a local paper.

3 Likes

Just yesterday, my hairdresser (young 33-ish woman) told me that she got her news exclusively from TikTok’s commentariat
and confidentally told me that no young people read news from any news organizations. :thinking:

She also had no idea that states like Idaho were putting women’s lives in jeopardy by not allowing medical care for non-viable fetuses. When I told her that they don’t think saving a women from sepsis or an unnecessary hysterectomy as life-saving care, she was equally astonished and upset. (I resisted grabbing her phone and adding several different news apps.)

Tired Monday GIF

10 Likes

11 Likes

Ashley Relief GIF by The Challenge

It’s almost as if we should read more than headlines before making up our minds about the day’s news. :thinking:

10 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

:laughing:

5 Likes

There’s also pro choice tiktok. (gift link)

But what you see on tiktok is likely controlled by various algorithms uninterested in journalistic responsibility.

2 Likes

The New York Times has been winning pulitzer prizes for it’s hard hitting coverage of Ukraine since 1932, back when other news outlets were still in diapers.

1 Like

I didn’t know giving a fascist an op-ed was “journalistic integrity”. Or denying trans.

2 Likes

#2 is also the only one who gets news from those sources

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.