Juror #2's media diet may decide if Democracy lives or dies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/juror-2s-media-diet-may-decide-if-democracy-lives-or-dies.html

8 Likes

They said publicly that they had a goal to get a MAGAt on the jury to make sure there was not a conviction. They may have done exactly that. I guess time will tell, but holy shit this is not encouraging.

20 Likes

10 Likes

I wonder who slipped up by not citing that bad diet as disqualifying.

:person_facepalming:

I mean, why do they even bother to ask this question?

16 Likes

Juror #1 isn’t great either, what with the Daily Heil and Faux News. But yeah, Juror #2 is going to be the racist MAGA uncle at that party.

10 Likes

Where the hell does juror #4 get their news then?

Hope it’s NPR…

5 Likes

I’d be a bit wary of 1, 5 and 6 as well.

Really, this is such a high profile case that everyone should switch off for the duration of the trial and focus just on the evidence presented, but it’s difficult to see them actually enforcing that.

12 Likes

We should all be concerned about Trump and the state of American Democracy, but… Of all the criminal cases against Trump, this was always the weakest of them. So even if he is acquitted, he could still be found guilty before election day. The problem with that is to prevent any further delays in the other cases.

4 Likes

This has been my fear all along. I just don’t see how it’s possible to assemble a functional jury for this particular case. And I’m pretty certain that if there’s not a conviction, Trump wins a second term - his popularity will likely shoot through the roof if he’s able to crow about beating the system.

Pinning my hopes on the prosecution knowing more than I do about putting a jury together. If they were satisfied by it, it must be fine, right…? RIGHT? :grimacing:

Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

Yup, I don’t love people relying on Google, Facebook and TikTok for news exclusively either…

Juror no. 11 claiming they get news entirely from Google is interesting - are they using sources too niche to ask about, or straight up don’t do news?

Also, what are the rules here - majority of the jury, qualified majority, or unanimous?

5 Likes

Do these courts allow for majority verdicts?

2 Likes

I wonder if Jurors will be instructed to avoid news media/social media for the duration of the trial. It would be interesting to see what happens to someone like that when they’re forced to spend a few weeks exposed to information that doesn’t conform to their previous media bubble.

14 Likes

If I recall correctly (not read the NYT article), that Juror stated they “followed” or “read” Trump’s Truth Social posts when REPOSTED by others on TWITTER. They did not come across as actually going to Truth Social and having an account.

11 Likes

My guess is they would probably end up breaking the rules and disqualifying themselves.

3 Likes

If the numbering is the same, Juror #2 was dismissed.

6 Likes

I also get “news” from Google, though not “entirely”. I just go to news.Google.com and see what they’ve aggregated. The bulk of my “news” aggregation comes from FARK.com.

edit to add: I was a Juror on a Federal Trial last year and I made sure to mention FARK out loud when they were doing voir dire.

10 Likes

No, it’s gotta be unanimous.

12 Likes

Broadcast news is still a thing. Isn’t it?

5 Likes

I get my news frm boingBoing…

12 Likes

Honestly, I am shocked so many people report the NYT. It has a paywall and most of the time I couldn’t read their articles if I wanted.

Also, where are things like ABC and CBS? A lot of people still just watch the nightly news.

4 Likes