Jury finds NRA and Wayne LaPierre liable for corruption

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/24/jury-finds-nra-and-wayne-lapierre-liable-for-corruption.html

7 Likes

I hope they get fired.

11 Likes

Maybe already resigned? This shows on the Previously on BB. I’ll go look but it caught my eye.

Previously : NRA president Wayne LaPierre resigns days before trial begins

6 Likes

Yes, as Rob noted in the second sentence of the post.

9 Likes

Thanks @Brainspore . This shows I need another coffee. I went back and re-read because I thought I had seen it in the article too, but I missed it. Or maybe my reading comprehension is just shot.

7 Likes

I remember when Six Million Dollars was a lot of money. In the context of the NRA however, it seems absurdly minute…

15 Likes

Who is “they” here? LaPierre and the other executive found liable? The NRA? It’s general membership? All of them?

14 Likes

What I don’t see as I read the WaPo and NYT coverage is whether this is only going to be remedied by financial penalty, or if prison is on the table. Simply paying money back just doesn’t feel like justice to me. Maybe a boinger can clarify.

11 Likes

It’s a civil trial rather than a criminal one, so not prison.

15 Likes

Would someone like to comment on whether this will make any difference to the activities of the NRA? You know, the “Upholding American Freedoms” that Mr LaPierre mentions?

4 Likes

I See You Good Job GIF by Luvvie Ajayi Jones

14 Likes

As @Brainspore mentions, this is a civil trial, but those are often used as a precursor to a criminal trial as the discovery rules are much different and broader than a criminal trial. Iirc, AG James originally said that she was seeking to have the entire organization disbanded and prevented them from moving their non-profit incorporation to… Texas, maybe? This was partially to avoid any evidence disappearing behind state lines, but also to retain jurisdiction. IANAL, but it seems that there are grounds for criminal charges.

This article sums up the fight to disband them and how we got here:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/nra-cannot-be-dissolved-by-new-york-attorney-general-judge-rules-2022-03-02/

7 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

considering how many deaths they’re responsible for, seeing them behind bars for tax evasion anything would be more than welcome.

still can’t understand why acting as an arm of russia hasn’t led to any tangible consequences. ( unless these are those; but surely there should be something … more. )

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is questionable expenses, apparently.

16 Likes

Good.

3 Likes

Yeah, my response to this was that 5 million wasn’t a lot of money, really. And also I’m sorry he didn’t steal more - a lot, lot more. Enough to actually impact the functioning of the organization.

3 Likes

Thank fuck somebody did.

7 Likes

He was let off. Didn’t you hear? There was a loud report about it.

7 Likes

Did he try to give technical explanations to explain why all those expensive goodies were perfectly appropriate for an average person like himself?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.