Just a clown singing Pinball Wizard to the tune of Folsom Prison Blues

Yee Haw!!!

Great post, great thread. I am very appointed, boing boing.

5 Likes

I think that if we were going to be consistent, the same could be said about practically any media or performer. How to we distil the essence from the gimmick? Sometimes there is a clear distinction, sometimes not. Weird Al is know for “novelty music” but is still a brilliant wordsmith, good singer and performer. My ex watched only the first two episodes of Breaking Bad before dismissing their story as being a gimmick, despite its topicality and all of the craft on display. One person’s gimmick can be another person style, it is very subjective.

FWIW I watched it despite the mention of a clown, not because of it. Sturgeon’s law etc. - I don’t like most mashups nor clowns, but this was great.

5 Likes

If you had any idea of the year and/or location of that recording I might be able to have a trawl and see…

1 Like

Thanks. I was going to post this one, too.

I found Willy Rushton doing “Dustman” to “Ipanema”. Not Barry Cryer. It’s old and less than hi-fidelity, but he does make a small meal of it.

(I’d upload it if BB allowed anything other than pics to be uploaded. My aversion to most popular forms of allegedly social/sharing media mean I can’t, frankly, be arsed to find another route at this time of night. Desperate begging may make me more accommodating, but I doubt anyone cares that much.)

I’m not sure it’s the done thing to just add random videos, but here’s a great one anyway.

Also with the great Haley Reinhart

5 Likes

Ah. In my head it was Barry Cryer, but Willy Rushton it may have been. I
heard it a long time ago (probably live). I could find lots of
references to the other way around, and I was beginning to wonder
whether I was imagining this. Thanks - that’s all I need to know.

I’d like him do that song from Mulholland Drive. And I don’t mean “I’ve Told Every Little Star”.

Yes, debated between sharing this one and Royals. Haley is a treasure, as well.

1 Like

This band that also excels in the mash-up genre has probably the best concert registration I know:

The camera person (whether they intended to or no) really makes you feel like you are there!

Their music is always a lot better when you are there live as opposed to on their cd… Damn, just noticed they have some new material I haven’t seen yet! BRB, gotta figure out if they will come near me for a show!

1 Like

Well, Rushton doing “Dustman” to “Ipanema” does not preclude Cryer doing “Ipanema” to “Dustman”. If anything turns up, I’ll come back but may not happen before the thread closes.

No way! Homeslice has some pipes. Also, this arrangement is pure genius.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.