Just how terrible are the twos?

Okay, sounds like the researcher needs to calm down and call a babysitter.

If you’re wrong about this, I’m going to hunt you down, tie you to a cactus, cover you in honey and leave a fire ant colony sitting next to you. We’re three years into the terrible twos. They should’ve been over about a year ago, instead I fully expect to continue being a ball of stress until September when kidergarten starts.

Well, if you’re going to hold me to a prediction, I might as well go all-in:

Your child will shine at kindergarten. At parent-teacher conferences the teacher will go on and on about the joy of spending hours a day with your well-adjusted child. Other kids will voluntary give your child cookies from their lunch. Parents will ask you for parenting tips. Everyone will wonder how you wrought The Golden Child.

And, everyday after school, s/he won’t just be a “ball of stress,” but a sophisticated, socially-aware drama queen who makes your life ever more difficult in fiendishly clever and diabolical ways.

Remember: kids are your parents revenge for what you did to them when you were a kid.

1 Like

+1 to the idea that 3’s are waaaay tougher than 2’s. On the other hand, she’s a hell of a lot more fun, too. But hey, crazy and fun have always gone together.

p.s.- this “new data” is pretty fucking obvious!

Yes, another parent vote for the twos not really being so bad, but the threes… gird your loins.

See, that’s what I don’t get. Was my introverted nature really something requiring revenge? I would say not. Were my good grades something requiring revenge? That would just be weird.

I think the answer is that kids have the magical ability to push, very hard, buttons we weren’t aware of having. At least he’s nice to the kittehs. :confused:

This is absolutely true.

Remember your son’s delight first time he discovered a light switch? They are exploring their world – light switches and parents alike – to see what gets a response. They will find your “buttons.” My daughters, who are certifiably great people, still do this to my wife and I. I regularly have walk out the the room or otherwise just not respond.

So hang in there. If your child is “pushing your buttons,” just try to chill, or remove yourself for a moment, or hand off the parenting to some other adult for a few minutes. My wife really struggled this, but in the end doing so made her life a better place, too.

Like Gilbert Wham above, your net persona comes across as a pretty darn good parent.

Keep loving your son, appreciate the kittehs, and it’s going to be great!

“Reading” is scarcely the word. Perhaps “Surviving” or “Tolerating” or “Getting increasingly incensed by” or “Losing what little faith I had left in humanity by” or “Rationally correcting some moochers in.”

2 Likes

I’ve just had a day as unpleasant as that. internet Libertarians would be a welcome relief…

Ahhh, yes. The button-pushing. And who could possibly know those buttons better than one who has shared your home, your life, and dare I say - even your body since they were a promising little zygote? They are good. They are very, very good at it.

But hang in. If you think this is fun? Imagine what it can do with another 10 years’ worth of expertise under It’s little belt? Oh, shock and awe! (Even better, if It’s a girl, You certainly don’t have to teach them to ‘use their words’!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.