Justice Department sues Hobby Lobby over thousands of looted Iraqi artifacts it bought

I’m sure that after divesting the Green family of their ill gotten gains some US museum will take care of the artifacts until the original owner is found … i.e. never.

If you guessed giant “bible museum”, you are today’s winner!

3 Likes

One wants us in the 11th century, the other in the 14th. Not so different really.

2 Likes

Did they leave out the ‘shalt not steal’ part?

5 Likes

Yet it takes more than an act of Parliament to return some of the stolen…er…looted…er…colonially appropriated materials.

At least some museums understand that their displayed material doesn’t belong to them and have done the right thing:

7 Likes

Great obscure movie reference! (The reference is obscure, not the movie)

3 Likes

It should be said that while there’s nothing in the Bible about abortion, there’s at least one in ten commands against lying.

8 Likes

Have you seen the Visitors’ Center in Temple Square in Salt Lake City? The nice young man who showed us around assured us that the “Jews were the only ones to kill their own God.” Quite a story, that.

7 Likes

I don’t understand all the snark about this not being “christian” behaviour: Christians have been looting Muslim countries for c.1000yrs… /s

5 Likes

I think their female employees could still have health care, just not EVIL, SATANIC contraception.

Because their Bible tells them that levonorgestrel, ulipristal acetate, and IUDs prevent the implantation of fertilized eggs. Also, their Bible says that preventing implantation is the same as abortion.

Also they ignore the parts of the Bible that appear not to care about abortion, but whatever.

4 Likes

This week only at Hobby Lobby, 10% off Everything!

4 Likes

$3M fine. YES!!!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/05/535698988/hobby-lobby-to-forfeit-smuggled-iraqi-antiquities

4 Likes

Given that they’re a $4 billion dollar corporation who spent millions on these antiquities that likely went right into the pockets of ISIS, I wish that a few zeros had been added to that pittance of a fine.

12 Likes
11 Likes

that’s better than one of Bob Loblaws Law Blog Law Bombs!

2 Likes

Me to. But as someone else upthread noted (I think @Spizella), these objects have already been decontextualized from it’s surroundings. Getting an artifact without knowing where it was found and what it was found with (among other things) isn’t really effectively preserving it. Their meanings were likely going to be made to fit with whatever right wing religious bat-shittery the hobby lobby dude had in mind. It is good that they aren’t destroyed, that’s very true. But there has already been considerable damage done. I’d also question whether or not the hobby lobby folks have good museum training. I mean, honestly, even reputable museums (like various national museums in western capitals) have historically had a huge problem with taking artifacts and relics that do not belong to them (especially in the era of high imperialism, the Victorian era). Countries like Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, and Iran are still fighting to get some of their antiquities back.

I think we can all agree there.

6 Likes

Literal meaning bent to their particular religious ideological world view! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, actually…

7 Likes

That’s true, but that is the looters doing. Assuming it was looted from the ground vs looted from an archive somewhere. In which case records on it should exist. But that is the main issue with people looting historic sites for personal gain. That is why that cave with the giant crystals in Mexico (or was it South America) has been kept secret.

Yes, I pointed out that some awesome collections like the British National Museum has some ill gotten samples. And you’re right that preservation has been spotty in the past. I would hope that any modern museum would have trained archivers.

I dunno, I guess this seems like an hyperbolic low blow. But you may be right.

But they might stop doing it if they couldn’t make $$$ off them.

We are talking about a company that went all the way to the supreme court in order to deny women access to birth control. I think that’s pretty religious bat shit, but I guess that depends on how much you think women should have complete control over their bodies. For me, it’s a pretty hard line.

7 Likes