Justin Wilson's "gar-on-tee"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/26/justin-wilsons-gar-on-tee.html

6 Likes

My favorite Justin Wilson-ism is from when he sat down to have some chicken he’d cooked with some red wine. He said “They say with chicken you supposed to have a white wine, but the chicken he dead, he don’ care.”

24 Likes

Cornball, but handy in the kitchen. Our New Orleans relations (who could whip up one heck of a mock-cajun accent), claimed that Justin Wlison’s on-air patois was a complete put-on. I’d liked to have known the truth, yes-or-no.

6 Likes

I loved Justin Wilson’s cooking show; really informal and him just stumping around a kitchen (or outdoor BBQ set-up) telling some weird funny-ass cajun story, drinking wine and interspersing it with a cooking lesson. Plus he never cooked a single low-calorie meal that I can recall.

7 Likes

That dude was the absolute best.

1 Like

“…about 26 pounds… I could tell by the scale he have on him.”

Kermit the Frog skwooch-face emoji

7 Likes

Much like anyone might be induced to combine all caricature-able elements of Cajun TV chefs into one person, The Simpsons similarly misattributed “I gar-on-tee” to Paul Prudhomme in their spin-off showcase episode.

1 Like

"Somebody dun parked an auto-MOBILE on da bottom of the Gulf of Mexico"

Roger That!

7 Likes

I thought it was Paul Prudhomme as well. In fact, I’m pretty sure there’s a Simpson’s gag with a Prudhomme-type character saying it, with Skinner telling him to stop it.

1 Like

Justin Wilson was popular in Louisiana as a comedian well before he became more widely known as a chef. I grew up in Baton Rouge and my dad had a couple of his records. They were hilarious. I can still remember clearly his comical voice & delivery

3 Likes

That man was a classic. “A little wine fo da chikin and a little for Justin and a little mo fo Justin”. “He done did dat!”

Chefs these days just don’t get “sauced” enough while they cook. That’s one reason I used to like My Drunk Kitchen with Hannah Hart.

And you have to pronounce it “juice-tan wees-On”

2 Likes

And I was drivin down de road der, and saw a boy draggin a shicken hawk. I says “Boy, what’s you goin to do with that bird?” An he says “Suh, I’m goin to cook him up.” And I says “Boy, what’s shicken hawk taste like?” And he thinks for a minute, and he done says “‘Bout like owl.”

1 Like

This is exactly why I miss the UK’s hero of cooking while drinking, the late Keith Floyd.

4 Likes

Paul Prudhomme popularized cajun food, but Justin Wilson popularized the whole cajun persona and mythology.

2 Likes

yeah, this reminds me of that great song by Jimmy Von Morrison ‘Justin Wilson Said’.

1 Like

Wow, that’s amazing. And, he actually pulled off a reasonably well-made drink in the middle of that monologue.

1 Like

The internet has ruined me. I thought that red snapper was going to turn around and sing “Take me to the River”

Loved watching him measure spices and such in the crack of his hand.
“Half a teaspoon of salt… You don’ believe me?”
he opens a drawer, pulls out the measuring spoons, dumps the salt from his hand into the spoon.
“Yep. Zacly!”

1 Like

2 Likes

And they say we have funny accents in Boston MA.

1 Like