Watch Anthony Bourdain eat at Waffle House and fucking love it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/watch-anthony-bourdain-eat-at.html

9 Likes

Once we were all young and full of ideas, the world was ours.

RIP Dude…

29 Likes

I couldn’t be the only one…

12 Likes

Bourdain was a man of intelligence and wisdom who had the spirit of an adventurer.

And yes, Waffle House is fucking awesome.

17 Likes

Love Bourdain and will really miss his jaded, yet gentle way of explaining his world.

But come on, every breakfast place that stays open all night is a culinary miracle to hammered people that are blown away by the fat, salt and sugar. Waffle House is as crap, and as good, as any of them. Meaning crap unless you are really wrecked late at night, when it becomes amazing.

8 Likes

I’m genuinely sad today at the news of Bourdain’s death.
His show is the only good thing on CNN. In fact, it just about redeems an entire network.
This may come off as hyperbole, but I think these last 11 seasons of Parts Unknown will come to be known as some of the most important television of the decade.

15 Likes

I can’t today. This seriously cuts so deep for me.

Anthony Bourdain, Thomas Keller, Hubert Keller, Jacques Pepin, Wylie Dufresne, and of course…Eric Ripert (my lone man crush for all time) are my fave chefs and besides Julia my biggest inspirations. But Bourdain was above them all for also being my favorite writer.

I always assumed Pepin would be the first given his age. I just can’t with it being Bourdain.

12 Likes

Agreed. I love breakfast food, at all times of the day, and I am a firm believer that cheap food is often better than expensive food, but Waffle House just doesn’t do much for me. It’s good, but that’s all as far as my tastes are concerned.

2 Likes

Never heard of Eric Ripert, but that selection of his pics on image search! He’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Best chef in the world IMHO.

2 Likes

and one of the most laid back sweetest guys ever too.

The episode of Bourdain where he got Ripert to work the line at Tony’s old joint was amazing. he just totally zen-ed out and found one of the most stressful jobs in a kitchen to be a relaxing awesome experience.

10 Likes

His show is a wonder, watched so many, anticipated so many more… he seemed like a regular guy.
A sad day for planet earth, our favorite chef is missing.

3 Likes

I call bullshit. There’s no way a guy who grew up on authentic Jersey diners is amazed by Waffle Slop.

3 Likes

The Waffle House ain’t got nothin’ on this place: https://www.chowhound.com/post/chicken-waffles-merritt-bakery-oakland-20161

http://www.merrittbakeryoakland.com/merrittbakeryoakland.com/About_Us.html

This is where I learned about chicken and waffles.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I’ll take Southern cuisine over New Jersey slop any day.

5 Likes

I never really connected with him as a personality, but I respected the fuck out of Bourdain (usually I’d say “heck”, but this is in his honour). The man did more living in the last 15 years of his life than most do in a lifetime. It’s a shame that he couldn’t overcome the demons that haunted him.

Between Bourdain and Kate Spade this week, a reminder to everyone that the black dog doesn’t care who you are or how accomplished you are or whether or not you are surrounded by friends and family. There are people, neutral parties, willing to listen – in the U.S. the National Suicide Hotline is 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

16 Likes

That was kind of the point he was making. FYI.

5 Likes

One thing I’ve heard about Waffle House that makes it stand out is that the pace in the kitchen is so demanding and the menu items so varied that anyone who can stay employed there for 2-3 years can basically write his own ticket for any other short-order cooking gig til eternity.

I don’t know if they covered that on the episode in question, but it strikes me as the kind of detail that Bourdain would have really appreciated.

9 Likes

New Jersey doesn’t have a lot to brag about, but their Greek diners and Italian pizza are second to none. Jewish delis were once a thing too, but have largely disappeared nowadays. God Bless American Immigrants.

5 Likes

I must admit, I have an NYC bias. It’s hard for me to accept that there could be good food in Jersey that can’t be found in the five boroughs.

1 Like