Juul gave marketing presentations to schoolchildren in the guise of "mental health/addiction" seminars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/10/iphone-of-vapes.html

4 Likes

Well this gif is useful today.

19 Likes

[WINK]

not-until-16

26 Likes

Zuul the Gatekeeper of Gozer hides by just changing one letter these days?

11 Likes

The principal or whatever school administrator that allowed these con artists in the building should be fired immediately.

13 Likes

Wait - is that where the band got its name?

Also - who in the school admin thought this was a good idea?

3 Likes

And by “safe space,” they clearly meant safe for them.

Whether proposed by either corporate affiliated representatives, or serial pedophiles, that request never seems to end well.

7 Likes

Someone needs to be covered in lettuce and kicked into a pit of feral guinea pigs.

3 Likes

Yup. Per Wikipedia:

After creating a short list of names that included “Fall Out Boy”, a fictional character from The Simpsons and Bongo Comics, friends voted on the name. The band’s second performance, at a southern Illinois university with The Killing Tree, began with Wentz introducing the band under a name Stump recalled as “very long”.[6] According to Stump, an audience member yelled out, “Fuck that, no, you’re Fall Out Boy!”, and the band were credited later in the show under that name by Killing Tree frontman Tim McIlrath.

5 Likes

tumblr_a1312c09f8206bf978c3043895bca392_2231a43d_640

18 Likes

Right? What were they smoking?

6 Likes

What was heard: we don’t want you as customers

1 Like

Gosh! If only the Food and Drug Administration had the power to regulate these drugs! Im sure the explosives and firearms people arent interested in sharing their domain…

4 Likes

“Only the smoothest of rebels would even consider using our products before age 18.”

14 Likes

I am an immature old so I watch a lot of Adult Swim and Disney Channel and see the anti-smoking PSAs that are out there right now (I don’t know about ads on other medias like the YouTubes and Tik Toks tho, too old an old). I feel like these kids are numb from hearing, ad nauseum, that “cigarettes are bad for you because CIGARETTE SMOKE!!! run away run away!!!” and aren’t getting the message that “huge amounts NICOTINE is really bad for you toooooo!!!” The constant constriction and release that nicotine causes on your arteries and veins makes them harden and then really fuck up your limbs and organs. :frowning_face:
It’s like, “No shit, Sherlock, cigarette smoke is dirty and gross, but a Juul is just vapor, dude. Fruity vapor.” And now, with all these deaths and crazy pneumonia cases, I worry that, again, the thing that will be vilified is the stuff going into their lungs instead of the massive doses of nicotine laying bombs in the rest of their bodies.

6 Likes

Was this the same rep?

7 Likes

Guessing someone got free samples.

http://www.vape.com/prodotti/
In my days Vape meant mosquito killer. There’s the spray or the electric dispenser.

3 Likes

Amateurs.
As far as I know, the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, in combination with the National Defense Authorization Act, gives recruiters for the various US armed forces free access to public high schools, to approach adolescents aged 14 through 18 years to persuade them to enlist in military service branches. Including access to the students’ names, addresses, and telephone listings.
Now that’s marketing.

7 Likes

Always keep in mind with stories like this that the tobacco/nictotine-delivery industry, starting way back in the 1920s with Edward Bernays, pioneered the scumbag tactics of FUD, disinfo, denialism, and shady marketing that were later adopted by other industries and organisation that blow toxic smoke: e.g. the climate-change-denying fossil fuel industry, the NRA, and of course the GOP.