Juul's strategy for success: target children, steadily ramp up nicotine levels

BS. It got me to quit 30 year habit. People who designed and pioneered the tech did it with the intent of harm reduction, smoking cessation.

2 Likes

Like Mc Donald’s?

Better info and writing than the article.

1 Like

1 Like

It wasn’t designed by the tobacco industry but it is being co-opted by the tobacco industry because e cigs are stealing marketshare from real cigs.

2 Likes

There’s no way Juul would have invested $$$$$ and toyed-up the packaging without the input of focus groups (meaning children). And what kind of parent would have allowed their children to join such groups?

I can see you haven’t read the comments. Those aren’t juul packages.

2 Likes

Thanks. No edit. I’ll leave what I have up for target practice.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m mad they market this to kids. Not only will the nicotine kill them, the packaging will forever confuse them about the difference between an apostrophe and a quotation mark.

2 Likes

Holy shit guys I just learned that megacorporations are marketing an addictive chemical called caffeine directly and indisputably to children in the form of almost every soft drink ever. There exists on this earth some research papers that indicate that caffeine has harmful effects on health. Why has no one done anything about this?

1 Like

Last I checked the nicotine in vaping fluid was still extracted from tobacco plants, so it’s deceptive at best to frame vaping as an alternative to tobacco. At best it’s a less dangerous form of tobacco.

5 Likes

You can “hack” the pods to use the bottles but yeah. It’s super plain packaging. The colors of the pod lids are to help tell the difference between them

1 Like

Yep. That was one of the reasons I quit. I remember smoking a new pack of Reds, and they suddenly tasted funny and I could only get halfway through without feeling ill. When I found out they were doing that I was glad I quit, but was furious they pulled that crap. So I think they were raising the levels in Reds as well. That would’ve been about 20 some years ago.

It’s almost like addicts who say “hes not like those other dealers, he’s a good guy.”

Addiction does strange things to addict’s version of reality.

And corporate dealer know they need new addict’s if they want to maintain growth.

Vaping teenagers @ the NYT

1 Like

Well, I tried to quit smoking cigarettes numerous times. Chantix twice, had some weird Freddie Krueger-esque dreams, but still didn’t quit.

Then I started vaping, and I stopped smoking cigs. Used to use the bigger vapes, until one day I kind of realized I was being a douche, so I switched to JUUL, which was 10000% less obnoxious to everybody else around me than any other vape I had ever seen at that point.

Then I eventually quit the JUUL, because I still felt like it was less healthy than not vaping, and who wants to look like a cyberpunk sucking on a USB stick for the rest of their life? OK me but still, not healthy.

So, in the end, I absolutely credit vaping for my quitting. And credit JUUL for putting a significantly less obnoxious vape device on the market.

Yes, the industry should be better regulated, and sure, make people order flavored juice online. That’s how I tended to order my JUUL pods anyway. There’s a reasonable way of approaching this issue.

2 Likes

Luckily, the advent of smartphones has drastically curtailed the ‘talking’ use case; so the number of mobile phone users who hold the device close to the assorted life-critical blood tubes in the neck for any length of time is much lower than it would be if historical phone use patterns still held.

64 comments, and no “this”? Then, please allow me…

3 Likes

It’s fine if you don’t like vaping or nicotine, but this article is just bad. You’ve taken a bunch of unrelated ideas that aren’t entirely untrue and woven them together into a narrative that just doesn’t make sense.

We have all had the experience where an article is written about our own field or hobby & it’s completely off the mark. This is an especially bad example.

Ecigs are a decade+ old & were invented as a less harmful alternative to smoking.

For a long time the market was driven by VERY small companies & hobbyists. Big tobacco was not invested & was lobbying to kill the market.

Juul is catering to trends and forces which predate any investment from altria and the like.

There is not enough nicotine in a juul pod to kill a preschool. You can by large bottles with a very high concentration, but they aren’t intended for consumers. They are to be cut & diluted with flavors by manufacturers and hobbyists. Just opening a bottle will burn your eyes & juul does not serve this market.

Juul didn’t trigger an arms race, they were weaker than the competition & came to match them.

Blockquote
Ramping up nicotine levels didn’t just make Juul’s products more addictive, it made being a nicotine addict more affordable: the major costs of a vape refill are not the liquid, but the pod, its manufacture and distribution.

I actually don’t understand what you are trying to say here. The pods are the razorblade, they could be refillable, but they aren’t so that you have to buy from Juul.
Juuls are just about the least cost effective way to vape.

And for the greatest irony of all,
Vaping was not cool. Vaping was dorky. Vaping only became cool when you made a big show about how dangerous it is and how teenagers shouldn’t have them.

One nice thing is pure nicotine without all the other alkaloids is less satisfying & easier to quit.

The people attacking this article aren’t trying to defend vaping, they are trying to defend reality. This is Fox News. You now know less about vaping and the market than you did before you read it.

2 Likes

This article is a train wreck. What’s up? There is an actual problem with teens being able to get their hands on Juul products through black market or bad retailers, but instead of writing about that, you’ve put in a whole bunch of, idk how else to say it, um, lies ok, softer, falsehoods.

The big flashy pictures have nothing to do with Juul. The comment about killing a whole classroom of preschoolers, really? Okay please write next about how gallons of bleach can do that also. (You could kill a classroom of preschoolers a whole lot faster with gallons of bleach than you ever could with Juul pods because idk how they would open Juul pods up and you’d have to go one by one by one by one by one. So maybe keep gallons of bleach AND Juul pods away from preschoolers).

My point is - there is an actual point to be made but you are making none of it, and instead spreading lies and encouraging hysteria. Juul is also saving lives, a lotta lotta lotta lives, and what we need is a balanced conversation about harm reduction - harm reduction to individuals and cohorts and society in general. Don’t be “that guy” with Fake News.

2 Likes

This is why I like seeing the date when somebody joins our band of happy mutants. Now all you need to do to prove that you are not astroturfing for Juul’s corporate overlords is to post elsewhere, and not just in this thread.

I hope you’re at least getting paid.

4 Likes