Juul's strategy for success: target children, steadily ramp up nicotine levels

For the record, I also think this article is misinformed hysterical garbage, and I’m neither a user of Juul nor on their payroll.

10 Likes

This is very simple, and it’s the FDAs fault.
Approve IQOS.

…the same way Silk Road was saving lives.

Turkey Brain the industry is praying on customer. The individual companies are not some consortium trying to pray on children. I personally been struggling with quitting smoking 2+ years. I’m 38 and I’ve been smoking since I was 13. Vaping has helped me cut down my tobacco intake by 95% at least. I wholeheartedly agree that children should not be taking up habits I can be harmful to them. But many companies including people I know that started vape stores and making their own juice to sell only have the intention of 1. helping people with addictions to tobacco quit and 2. making money off products that help do that. Are there companies out there they could give a damn if children use their products as long as they were making money? Sure. But that does not mean the entire industry is preying on children.

Nicotine in vaping fluid is typically extracted from cantaloupe. Get your facts straight.

Do you work directly for a vaping or tobacco company, or do you work for a firm that provides driving trollies/astroturfing services, or are you an independent contractor? Are you paid with a salary, or an hourly rate, or by the number of responses you get to your trollies?

1 Like

This is one of those “I can’t tell if you’re joking, driving trollies or profoundly misinformed” situations.

9 Likes

While I think it’s valid to check a poster’s bio to give an initial hint of possible credibility, dismissing the criticisms out of hand by attacking the poster and failing to address their arguments entirely is an Ad Hominem fallacy. So far many, perhaps most, of the criticisms of the OP appear to be valid. For instance, the OP convinced me that the candy-style packaging was by Juul. It took the critical comments for me to learn that they are not. The OP is majorly misleading.

The vaping industry has plenty worth criticizing but lying about them doesn’t help, it just teaches people to tune out critics as unreliable, like studies that showed DARE anti-drug program did when they sent cops to schools to lie in lectures to kids about the actual relative dangers of different drugs.

7 Likes

Or you could actually try listening.

This article is egregious enough that it’s motivating people to sign up.

If the next article is about the dangers of nuclear power and cites Godzilla and Mothra will you dismiss everyone who signs up to explain that those are movie monsters of being shills for big monsters?

I wish there was some way to help you understand how poorly written this article is, but that would require you be willing to listen. You know less about real concerns for having read it.

3 Likes

Holy shit; this thread, though…

10 Likes

To anyone complaining about shills.

1. Are the six images in the OP of candy style packaging by Juul? Yes or No?

2. Does Juul come in dropper bottles as shown in the OP? Yes or No?

3. Did Juul ever offer 1-2% concentrations? Yes or No?

Best I can figure the answer is “No” to all of the above, and those are just a few examples of false or misleading aspects of the OP.

Just saying “Lalalalalalla!ShillsAndTrollsLalalalalala!” over and over again doesn’t magically make the OP accurate nor does it make posts criticizing it false.

6 Likes

Can you please stop attempting to be reasonable? This is boingboing, land of Internet outrage! :wink:

1 Like

<why_not_both.gif/>

1 Like

Just want to say that I recently passed 8 years since smoking my last cigarette. I switched to vaping and never looked back. Nothing else worked. Still vape. Fuck anyone who wants to shame me. Fuck Juuls too, but I should be able to vape whatever flavor I want. Deal with teens however you want, and I’ll just mix my own juice as always, but the harder you make vaping for adults, the more people will die from smoking. Period.

2 Likes

Yep exactly my thoughts on this. Much like the blackface sweater I don’t think the designers working on these products are idiots. I don’t think they live in a vacuum. I think they consciously chose to do exactly what they did and they knew exactly what they were doing. In this case, it’s literally just the same damned thing they did before.

I don’t think all people who vape are evil or that all vaping is evil. But I do think these companies are just pulling from their pre-existing playbooks and yeah profit > everything.

8 Likes

So if I’m above 24 and only smoke on special occasions I’m safe?

1 Like

Either quit or don’t, vaping is stupid. I quit after 18 years of smoking 2 packs a day (3 packs if drinking). If I could do it, anyone can. You seem to think you did a great thing for your health by switching to vaping but you just reduced your chance of getting cancer and emphysema. Smokers have higher incidence of those but still relatively low. What is far more likely to kill you is atherosclerosis caused by nicotine - that you still consume and are addicted to.

1 Like

How I envy you casual smokers. I’d give my left nut if I could only have a cig after meals. That’s it, that’s all I want. But I’m not that type and never will be; it’s 2 packs or nothing, so it’s nothing now.

1 Like

If you are have not initiated smoking by age 24 it is unlikely you will become addicted to nicotine.

1 Like

Concentrations more or less are marketing, since addicts unconsciously self-regulate dose by depth of inhalation, duration of hold, and frequency of hits. Same as with light cigarettes.

2 Likes