Kalamazoo spree killer picked up Uber fares between shootings

Wow. So you start right off with a completely false statement and a flaming train. “I’m not even mad, that’s impressive.”

4 Likes

let’s see:

• “more people die from heartattacks than from guns --so why are we even talking about guns.”
  • “if this person hadn’t had a gun, he’d have killed with the power of his mind – so why are we even talking about guns.”
  • “i heard of this one time where this one good guy with a gun stopped this one bad guy with a gun-- so why aren’t we talking about all the good things guns do.”
  • “it’s not guns that kill people, it’s crazy people who kill people. and by definition anybody who kills somebody is crazy – so lets talk about mental health instead.”
  • “there are too many guns in america anyway. criminals will always find a gun. and by definition anybody who kills somebody is a criminal – so lets talk about crime instead.”
  • “let’s not talk about deaths due to suicide, and accidents involving guns – these are the results of irresponsible gun ownership. and by definition anybody who lets these things happen is irresponsible – so lets talk about stupid people instead.”
  • “why can’t i have nice things!”

have i covered it? we’ve got comment bingo, and white terrorist bingo – maybe we need a gun/comment mash up edition.

16 Likes

Actually my first thought was: “please don’t be a white male, please don’t be a white male” clicks link… “damn it”

3 Likes

Please, God.

7 Likes

I like to talk about mental health ('cuz lawd knows it doesn’t get talked about nearly enough!), but it’s weird to present this as an either/or scenario, like some how improving access to mental health also means that we CAN’T have reasonable gun regulation.

I want both, dammit.

6 Likes

I hate that talking about mental health in the wake of a mass shooting is basically code for saying that we can’t do anything about mass shootings. It comes from people who don’t get that “person with a mental health disability” isn’t just liberal PC speak for “crazy.” If people are just "crazy’ then there is nothing that can be done. There will always be “crazy” people and they will always be able to get guns and execute complex plans because that’s what the crazy people on TV do.

Some of Americas mass shooters surely do have mental health issues, but a person who actually cares about trying to provide support for and acceptance of mental health problems is very rare among those who suddenly become concerned about mental health in the wake of shootings.

11 Likes

I prefer Inverse Racist

6 Likes

Like… what would that even be?

4 Likes

I think it is a Photoshop filter, no?

3 Likes

Similar to Möbius Strip Racism, but with less perturbations.

7 Likes

4 Likes

7 Likes

Actually, for a reverse racism and drinking meme, I should have gone with:

10 Likes

#notasbadasbrazil

7 Likes

Anyone else notice that he’s doing a Susanna Hoffs impression?

3 Likes

Since we’ve tried like 200 years of anybody can get a gun, I say why don’t we try 200 years of nobody can get a gun, see how that goes, and then we’ll meet and figure out what to do for the 200 years after that. Deal?

7 Likes

Obverse Racist?

Aka racist arsehole

1 Like

Is it currently turning your foot to crunched fragments of gunshot wound? Then it’s not a relevant concern. Move along.

Move along.

Seriously, I have a gun, move the fuck along.

8 Likes

I think banning white men might go a long way to solve the problem.

2 Likes

(initial caveat: general rant, not personally directed @Daedalus)

Could we make an effort to talk about mental health outside the context of mass murder, then?

Because that’s the only time it’s mentioned at the moment, and the continual assocation of mental illness and mass murder is neither just nor helpful to the vast majority of people affected by mental illness.

I used to work in neuropsychological research. Before that, I worked in neurological rehabilitation. I am also officially “crazy” in a way that has basically trashed my entire life and has had me largely housebound for the last several years.

But, like most people with mental illness, the only person whose life is endangered by my condition is mine.

The vast majority of gun-involved homicides in the USA have nothing to do with mental illness. What they do have to do with are the amplified consequences of domestic violence and other “sane” problems when you make it too easy to kill on impulse.

13 Likes