Kansas City cop allegedly stole $320,000 from anti-crime charity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/27/kansas-city-cop-allegedly-stole-320000-from-anti-crime-charity.html

5 Likes

He failed to share with someone that took a grudge

7 Likes

He prevented real criminals from taking the money.

8 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing the “qualified immunity” defense on this one.

“Your Honor, my client didn’t know that what he was doing was wrong. It said ‘Crime Free’ on the bank account, so he thought that meant that the money was free to anyone who wanted to commit a crime.”

5 Likes

An anti-crime charity is against his professional interest.

Reducing crime reduces the need for his job, therefore stealing from the charity is a win-win.

4 Likes

The site has been pretty scrubbed; but going by an archived version it sounds like the charity involved conducting officer-delivered educational seminars and officer-conducted inspections, along with social events(at the expense of the rental property owner) where the local police appear to speak briefly.

Absent anything I could find on the terms under which the officers participated; that sounds like the sort of program that’s practically perfect for handing out really softball working hours to participating officers. Probably a lot of people who aren’t thrilled that this guy skimming the till means that they’ll need to stand in the sun at a road work detail instead of delivering powerpoints to landlords for a certain number of hours.

I don’t mean to imply that the purpose of the program is or was timesheet stuffing; but, unless they were just too modest to mention that the officers involved were volunteering with the charity, that certainly sounds like it would be an effect of the program.

4 Likes

This part from that archived version is … problematic.

The class then turns to the issues of leases. It is important for a landlord to have the best lease possible. The best way to evict a troublesome tenant is to prove he has violated the lease. It is therefore important to have lease provisions that afford the most protection to the landlord and the property.

This is drifting awfully close to giving legal advice. Ok, actually, clicking around that archived site shows they actually had attorneys giving that part of the class. That’s good because otherwise that would have been a problem. Still, the whole thing sounds like, “Here’s how to discriminate in housing without doing it illegally.”

8 Likes

If it’s ok for cops to kill people for fun, I suspect they aren’t likely to have any issues practicing law without a license either.

6 Likes

Any bets on his voting record? I’m betting on the party that tries to whip up fear about the scary rise in crime rates.

2 Likes

I’m fascinated by the whole “anti-crime ‘charity’ run by cops” aspect. That just seems weird to me, and more than a little suspect, especially when it seems that the purpose of such organizations is to the benefit of apartment owners. (Although part of that is describing the non-profit as a “charity,” given that a “charity,” to me, suggests money/services being funneled to people in need, at least to some degree. Which I guess isn’t necessarily part of the definition, but an educational/promotional non-profit benefiting property owners really doesn’t feel like a “charity.”) But also because “crime prevention” is that thing that police departments supposedly do, so why is there a need for a private non-profit doing this work?

Interestingly, when doing a search for “Crime Free Multi-Housing program,” to find out what it does, I came across a local one - the operation of which was “suspended” as apparently it came into conflict with California law…

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound if the charity was intended to reduce crime levels, so much as advise landlords how to shift the crime somewhere else by avoiding the Wrong People as tenants.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.