Karen O and Willie Nelson cover Queen and Bowie's "Under Pressure"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/28/karen-o-and-willie-nelson-cover-queen-and-bowies-under-pressure.html

7 Likes

I’m very up for covers of this track, and for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Willie Nelson, and also I like the cover artwork. So, good!

(Although, it’ll probably take a few listens to appreciate properly because it is sort of vying in my head with my favorite version, with Annie Lennox and Bowie)

14 Likes

I never thought of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs as Americana, but add in Willie Nelson and it all gets mellow!

What an unexpected cover. I didn’t know I needed this.

6 Likes

Was this YT video just bad, or was the recording just duff? When her voice comes in it sounds like several layers of cotton wool are between my speakers and the mic.

Never heard of Karen O before, but I am allll in on this version!!!

3 Likes

Wow. I’ve never watched this before, and “wow” is all I got. Ms. Lennox can do no wrong, and damn do I miss Bowie.

3 Likes

You can see her in this video!

3 Likes

Found the pace of the cover too slow, i ended up speeding it up on YT to x1.25 and the sped up version worked better for me

5 Likes

Oh, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a very awesome band. Obviously not this mellow, much more alt rock style, but I dig her vocals.

Loved this cover, too. Too often the covers take the song straight up and don’t add their own twist to it, or reinterpret it, which makes them poor reflections of the original since few can match Freddy Mercury’s vocals. This one definitely goes out of its way to re-think the song and do something new.

But that Lennox/Bowie cover has always been a stand out.

2 Likes

This is straight up beautiful.

4 Likes

was gonna say just that

2 Likes

Same. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Vanilla Ice appears from nowhere to sue for copyright infringement

But seriously, I’ll listen to and enjoy anything Willie does. However seeing his name in headlines during this timeline is really stressing me out!

3 Likes

Old Willie’s voice always brings a smile to my face.

5 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with the Bowie / Lennox / Queen version either, but Wow pretty much sums it up.

2 Likes

I’m not crying, you’re crying!

1 Like

I was thinking someone should sample this to cover Ice Ice Baby

1 Like

they look and sound fabulous.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.