Karen, the archetypal American busybody, honored by an eatery

Originally published at: Karen, the archetypal American busybody, honored by an eatery | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Putting aside whether this is in any way a desirable thing (I’m leaning towards no), how is this even supposed to work? Karens are entitled customers (and tenants, and other positions they can punch down from), the whole thing doesn’t really make sense if they’re the ones serving the food and running the cash registers. Are they planning to have actors come in and pretend to throw entitled tantrums?

6 Likes

Looks like a new version of Ed Debevic’s:

Or the gold standard, The Wiener Circle:

9 Likes

… finally she’ll get to talk to the manager :confused:

7 Likes

Gold Standard indeed. Came here to post Weiner’s Circle but you’ve got it covered.

5 Likes

“…in a place where we pride ourselves in awful service…”

Do they mean the restaurant, or England (because bad service seems to definitely be a point of national pride in that country)?

Yeah, I think they’ve fundamentally misunderstood the meaning of the term (or it’s mutated into something else in the UK).

2 Likes

I think that the point of pride is in not requiring our serving staff to survive off tips. :+1:

4 Likes

Russia has entered the chat…

5 Likes

It looks like fun.

2 Likes

There’s also a joint called Dick’s…

2 Likes

I do see quite a few English people swell with actual patriotic pride every time someone serves them with complete disinterest, if not outright hostility. (Part of it might be proof that they’re not Americans, but English patriotism definitely includes things that are admittedly negative, so…)

3 Likes

As a Limey in a customer facing role and always try to be friendly, partially because it is nice to be nice, and partially because I find dealing with people stressful enough without me pissing them off :smile::+1:

5 Likes

"It’s nice to be liked
But it’s better by far to get paid. "

4 Likes

Durgin-Park in Boston MA USA did it first. Founded ‘again’ in 1827 the waitstaff were encouraged to adopt a “surly” attitude and “backtalk” the clientele. They only lasted until 2019 though.

4 Likes
4 Likes

That was way too funny.

4 Likes

This place would still lose in a fight with Waffle House.

1 Like

Waffle House carries a knife & a ball peen hammer, and has lots of V big, armed friends named Bubba.

1 Like

G&M, as seen in Slacker (where “I’m a medical doctor” confronts the hapless diner). But that’s not the location that I described here:

ETA:

That Karen-haircut emoji somehow reminds me of another place in Austin. It was called “Mama’s” and they had a picture of Joan Crawford on the front of the menu. In the background were little clothes hangers.

3 Likes

Goodness Gracious Me was a great series; and most of the cast have continued to educate, entertain, and inform us ever since.

3 Likes