Kari Lake's lawsuit is "embarrassing," according to attorneys who know what they're talking about

…no idea what offended there. No attorney credence afforded?

4 Likes

Could be…

7 Likes

Trump’s lawyer says…

… is fast becoming the modern day equivalent of “Once upon a time…”.

(If only it always ended “…and they lived happily ever after”.)

(Us, not him or his lawyers.)

3 Likes

At this point, getting “reinstated as president” would be quite counterproductive for Trump, because of the 22nd Amendment. If it turns out he was actually elected in both 2016 and 2020 after all, he doesn’t get to run again in 2024.

5 Likes

I really hope you’re right, but…

Sarah Palin Bear GIF by GIPHY News

6 Likes

UGH even worse than that,

6 Likes

Having, in my career, had to occasionally write an argument for my client that was – to be charitable here – novel, these briefs that are weakly (if at all) supported are almost inevitably bad. You are stuck bullshitting and you know it.

The only way to salvage them and make them even readable is lead with something to the effect of:

“Look, Judge, this is a completely novel theory and may seem to run counter the case law, but at least hear me out.” And then maybe hope the Judge is open to some supplemental briefing if he decides you have her sympathy…

4 Likes

“When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When the law is your side, argue the law. When neither are on your side, bullshit.”

2 Likes

100%. The difference is if you are honest with the Judge that you are, more or less, bullshitting it’s much better received!

2 Likes

Trump might actually consider that a good thing, though.

I don’t think he actually cares so much about being president. As much fun as it is to meet all his dictator heroes and dole out pardons and Air Force One joyrides to his sycophants (since he has no real friends), there are all those pesky people in the White House who are always expecting him to listen to their “briefings” and whatnot.

So if he can get reinstated late into Biden’s term, he kills three birds with one stone: (1) he is vindicated as Not A Loser of 2020, (2) it gets him out of being a loser in 2024 (for he’ll never say out loud that he could lose, but he knows he will), and (3) he can more quickly get back to crashing weddings at Mar-a-Lago and golfing.

3 Likes

YES. And it’s not like Qnuts are going to READ the filing or understand that it is terrible if they did. But when it gets kicked out at the summary judgment step it’s further grist for the outrage machine. “See, they’re all part of the con, they wouldn’t even give us our day in court!”

2 Likes

Really, if he managed to do an end run around the constitution to get “reinstated,” getting around the 22nd amendment should be easy.

4 Likes

People keep saying this but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. If someone were actually cheated out of a second term, would people really say “ok, but it’s been 4 years and now you can’t run again”? I’m sure a court would have to look at it but that seems an unreasonable interpretation of that law.

The real problem should simply be that Trump was not in any way cheated out of his second term. Nor his first one, which I will remind was something he was already saying while talking about a third.

3 Likes

Shame only matters if it causes them to lose enough votes to lose elections. So far, that hasn’t deterred enough of their voters to change enough outcomes.

2 Likes

You have to read it through a soft filter lens.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.