Karl Lagerfeld dead at 85

OK, you hold your breath and I’ll get right on it :wink:

Fun fact that not many people know because of the modern contempt for knowing things but Napoleon actually invented sweatpants after Waterloo.

2 Likes

I’ve heard his name. That’s about it.

Anybody know what the deal was with the fingerless gloves?

Maybe it’s confirmation bias, but it seems that if someone is a rapper and dies or is involved in a violent confrontation it becomes national news regardless of how well known they are. Like some weird fetishization of the “violent world of hip-hop”. Of course, Spotify et al have made it so that someone can sell a billion records and not really make any broad cultural impact, so maybe I’m just tilting at windmills.

“It is said you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but it seems to me an ideal opportunity.”

John Cleese

3 Likes

Dr-Kelso-image-dr-kelso-36401486-250-230

1 Like

There was a caption contest on fark.com for that photo when it came out. I thought “And the Karl Lagerfeld statue was made from 60 lbs of marzipan” should have won.

I don’t know much about him but style-wise he always seemed like the closest thing to a real life Bond villain.

Done and done.

Never cared for Lagerfeld as a designer. In my opinion he lacked the artistry, originality, taste and innovation of designers like Coco Chanel, Christian Dior, Christobal Balenciaga, Elsa Schaparelli, Yves St. Laurent, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, John Paul Gautier, Jacques Fath, Vivienne Westwood and Christian Lacroix. However he certainly understood the business of fashion and it was he who remade Chanel into the most commercially successful and profitable fashion brand in the world today.

An affectation. Like the white hair and the fans.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.