Russell Brand on Hugo Boss, Nazis, fashion and the tedium of glitz

[Permalink]

1 Like

Russell Brand was good but Stephen Colbertā€™s truth to power rant at the Washington Press Corps dinner is the standard by which all others (as few and far between as they are) should be measured. The piece Brand wrote for the Guardian after his ā€œacceptanceā€ speech is worth reading.

7 Likes

Yes indeed, read it this morning already (itā€™s linked in Coryā€™s post). Brilliant in style, content, and political perspective. Heā€™s fast becoming a national treasure of England, far as Iā€™m concerned. His other Guardian columns are priceless too, especially the one on the passing of Old Lady Thatcher.

11 Likes

I am worried that he may have hurt Hugo Bosses feelings. That isnā€™t nice.

7 Likes

Balls. Giant effing Balls!

4 Likes

I agree.

2 Likes

Thanks, and i agree about the standard Colbert set with a speech that Iā€™ve watched more than once. Itā€™s like what people say appearances by Mark Twain were like, and certainly right up there with scathing Twainian (and Swiftian) satire, the kind that spits lightning bolts of truth to power.

6 Likes

I really had no use for Brand before this. I did respect him for his interview with the Westboro Baptist Church but this has taken him from not-really-funny-but-respectable to wonderfully-earnest-raconteur-with-a-twist. This makes me genuinely like him. Maybe Iā€™m a suckerā€¦

3 Likes

You should read his op-ed on Thatcher. His standup doesnā€™t do it for me, but heā€™s a really insightful political commentator.

4 Likes

Wonā€™t someone think of the rich designers!?!?!

3 Likes

How is ejecting him from the event in the organizersā€™ interest? Heā€™s already said his ā€œoffensiveā€ things, itā€™s not as if heā€™s going to start flipping tablesā€¦
(ā•ÆĀ°ā–”Ā°)ā•Æļøµ ā”»ā”ā”»
All it does is make them look bad and garner bad publicity. Theyā€™re lucky he didnā€™t really go after them harder in his article. (Where he uses ā€œnumenisticā€ when he meant ā€œnuminous.ā€)

2 Likes

If they hadnā€™t ejected him - thus leading him to write this rather marvellous column - Iā€™d have never known Hugo Boss (the man) was a serious fan of Hitler and slave labour. Now I do. I also learned by Googling ā€œHugoā€™s Adventures with the Nazisā€ that Hugo Boss (the company) tried to cut the wages of Ohio factory workers by 36% (from $13 an hour to $8.30) in 2010. It appears Danny Glover was involved in a campaign with a local union to prevent this occurring.

Well done Russell Brand!

8 Likes

Oh, and one more thing, You thought you were going to green-wash your money using my name? Think again. Nice balance.

1 Like

If youā€™re only now finding Brand to be a wonderfully earnest raconteur with a twist, Iā€™d say you havenā€™t been paying attention.

5 Likes

Heā€™s got a way with words. The piece on Thatcher is excellent.

3 Likes

I wish I could be impressed by this, but after seeing his Genocidal Quips on The Secret Policemanā€™s Ball where he jokes his sexual exploits are the reason for the stonings of Iranian women, I have a hard time believing in his integrity.

Why does everyone keep picking on the Nazis? Jeeze, you start one little war and do a bit of genocide and thatā€™s all anyone talks about for over 60 years. Why doesnā€™t anyone ever thank them for the Volkswagen?

eta - oops didnā€™t mean to reply to the previous post.

3 Likes

I like Brandā€™s writing better than anything else he does. Although, my mutant ability to read things in anyoneā€™s voice I choose does add considerably to my experience of his work, and I wouldnā€™t have that experience if I hadnā€™t sampled his voice and persona via his television and stage appearances. So thereā€™s that.

1 Like

Came here to Godwin and now canā€™t figure out what to do.

6 Likes

Cite, please.

1 Like