Fred Perry kills its yellow-tipped black polo shirt, denounces fascist appropriators

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/26/fred-perry-kills-its-yellow-tipped-black-polo-shirt-denounces-fascist-appropriators.html

22 Likes

I always associated the brand with Casuals (and I wouldn’t speak on an English football terrace back in the days of Casuals) but this is fantastic from them.

Unfortunately polo shirts, here at least, are indelibly associated with wealthy right wingers so I won’t be giving them any business I think.

18 Likes

Nazis: why we can’t have nice things.

29 Likes

Good. It’s nice to see a company acknowledging that their product is being misused and actually doing something about it. Of course this doesn’t stop identitarians and related knuckleheads running around with the shirts in Europe but it’s a start.

13 Likes

Really!? Shit, I wear polo shirts all the time.

17 Likes

At least they make it easy to identify who to punch.

9 Likes

I wear them less than I used to even before the recent unpleasantness but polo shirts are great for business casual. I even have some that don’t have a vendor label on them.

8 Likes

Well done Fred Perry. Next step, Lonsdale and other subversive clothing brand iconography.
All these fascist fashionistas just can’t wait for more fabulous fall wear.

3 Likes

“No shirt for you!”

15 Likes

I’ve always associated Fred Perry with Fred Perry himself, the guys from Blur and the late great Amy Winehouse. I have a twin-tipped shirt that I enjoy wearing (white stripes thankfully, not yellow). It’s a bummer the the brand is being misrepresented by racist fools.

27 Likes

We are the mods, we are the mods, we are we are we are the mods

7 Likes

Try popping the collar sometime. High probability someone will throw a punch at you. Swear to god!

2 Likes

If you pop the collar on a Polo shirt here in the US, you’re mainly at risk of someone handing you a pair of Wayfarer sunglasses and a Duran Duran cassette. You don’t see that look much more these days.

23 Likes
9 Likes

I have an affinity for starched standing collars, but that’s my only Bond villain affectation.

10 Likes

Same thing down under.

Outside of school uniforms they’re almost exclusively worn here by wealthy white dudes - those most likely to be playing polo, tennis, golf and yachting and all those other great sports that the less-priveleged here are often priced-out of enjoying.

I never thought about it either until an art-school girlfriend started taking the piss out of my polo. Then I took a look around and…yeah…it was a thing!

11 Likes

Let them keep the khakis though. I’ve hated khakis since the introduction of Business Casual Friday.

16 Likes

Don’t those tend to be mandarin collars rather than starched detachable ones?

4 Likes

Yes, but depending on the material you can still starch them to keep them from slouching.

2 Likes
11 Likes