Karma strikes rude boaters

lolol. Just lolol.

1 Like

Strange things can happen on the Detroit River! Mostly it’s OK, but for the love of Dog, don’t get caught on it in a small craft when a storm blows up from Ohio! [Don’t ask me how I know, it’s a borderline PTSD event. :pensive:]

Have you been up to Port Huron for the sailing race before? It can be terrifying to be on the water anywhere near the mouth of the Black River in a moderately sized craft as a spectator due to all the drunk yacht “captains”. :flushed:

@ClutchLinkey: I’ve spent a lot of time on the water over the years in 3 different states; the laws are the same - one properly sized floatation device per human passenger is required to be onboard at all times after you leave dock. Disgusting that a recent Navy vet is so incapable of comprehending state maritime regulations. The regs aren’t in place to impinge his Navy experience, they’re in place to protect any passenger subjected to his ego and insecurities.

10 Likes

Come again?

Only insofar as it would let me know those particular MAGAts who rescued me were in fact capable of being decent human beings under some circumstances, which I would presume neither way a priori because I know human beings are complicated and capable of both good and evil, sometimes simultaneously.

Therefore, other than those particular MAGAts who rescued me, my perception of Trump supports would remain unchanged: delusional fascists whose capacity for good separate from their delusional fascism remains unknown.

As for my perception of the evil by definition shared by all MAGAts, it’s disdain and pity for their projected hate, which is irrespective of their willingness to rescue boaters. A perception born of hate and a perception born of condemnation of that hate are not equal and opposite. A hateful person may or may not learn to hate less through socialization, but a person who condemns hate is unlikely to condemn it less through socialization.

3 Likes

While I’d have tried to help them, I’d have been very careful while doing so, just as I would a dangerous and potentially panicked animal that may treat me as foe. It’s not lost on me that this is similar to the peril of rescuing drowning enemy sailors in a theater of war.

Since I present as SWM, I’m somewhat protected from their bigotry by privilege, and I absolutely cannot judge the level of caution comfortable to anyone with less privilege because theirs is not my safety to risk.

But I do commend the Pride boat’s successful rescue effort.

4 Likes

This story only needs a boat with a priest refusing to help them, and you’d have a modern day Good Samaritan story :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they could learn that you shouldn’t be assholes to people even if you disagree with them about something.

They turned the other cheek. As you might expect.

2 Likes

It would have been very, very funny to lower the pride flag and raise a jolly Roger while they were down there a-floatin’ and a-squallin’ tho.

4 Likes

flag-pride-jolly-roger

https://shop.flagshop.com/index.php/pride/pride-products/pride-pirate-flag.html

14 Likes

Canoedian, surely?

6 Likes

If you’re on a boat and you don’t offer help that Karma is really gonna get you bad.

From the firsthand report from one of the rescuers, they were ungrateful and didn’t even offer a thank you:

3 Likes

This part stood out to me even among the other rudeness:

smoking a Vape pen on our boat without even so much as asking if they could

Who would’ve thought a vape pen would even remain functional under those conditions?

5 Likes

From the original poster’s thread about the event:

Talk about rude! But also, just desserts, I’d say.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Apparently the garbage people continued to be garbage people after being hauled aboard.

Viral TikTok shows boat burning after its owners allegedly harassed others over LGBT pride flags - The Washington Post

1 Like

That’s probably why he’s no longer in the Navy.

3 Likes

Canoedeler?

One can be a good human being after being just a little bit of a bad human being.