Keane "big eyes" painting returned 50 years after it was stolen from the waiting room of a dentist whose daughter is depicted in the artwork

Originally published at: Keane "big eyes" painting returned 50 years after it was stolen from the waiting room of a dentist whose daughter is depicted in the artwork | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Glad it made the long trip back home.

4 Likes

I wondered if the auction house failed to check if the painting was stolen, but it seems that they are in the clear, assuming that they did check the National Stolen Art File…

The work, known as Eyes Upon You, was consigned to Heritage Auctions by a family who purchased it from a New Jersey gallery in the 1980s. The painting does not appear on the FBI’s National Stolen Art File, a database of stolen art and cultural property.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear the story has a happy ending but honestly, those big eye paintings always creep me out a little.

6 Likes

How have I not heard about this film about Keane?

Glad the art is back where it belongs.

4 Likes

I’ve never been a fan of the kitschy paintings, but the Keane name has always had a bad association in my mind, thanks to hearing a story about a woman meeting Bill Keane at, or just after, the height of the popularity of the work. She rebuffed his advances and he responded with a typical dirtbag “Don’t you know who I am?” Which is extra funny given what’s known about him now… “Yeah, I know who you are - the guy who got famous taking credit for his wife’s work!”

8 Likes

It is worth watching.

There are still Keane paintings on display here and there in public locations hereabouts. It is a little disconcerting to walk past one.

We have had some interesting art thefts here. 10-15 years ago thieves stole a 200 square foot mural from a local museum.

4 Likes

Only a little? /shudder

Well, I suppose it must be pretty hard, gen’ly typing, to scare Frankenstein’s Monster.

2 Likes

Just think of a brick wall, and stay focused, no matter what.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.