Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

Implication is that Caillou WANTS to blow a moose but cannot until being given permission (i.e., the “green light”): Yes, Caillou. You now can blow a moose!

3 Likes

I cant even blame you. FWIW this last doctor was much more watchable. But now he is leaving.

1 Like

Whoa there cowpoke. One of these things is not like the other…

4 Likes

Mind blown.

1 Like

You really have to see it to understand.
It’s on a whole other level of abstractly bad.

1 Like

If you’re talking about the guy who plays The Comedian in Watchmen, then yes.

The guy’s a psychobilly, but the group is organizing in order to fight back this spring.

1 Like

So why are all of you watching shows you don’t like? Is it just appeasing family members and friends? I rarely watch with anyone, mostly a show with a snack and drink after the wife and kids are asleep, so I NEVER watch anything I hate, its always streaming or a download. That said, for me the overwhelming majority of TV is unwatchable. I don’t watch sports, reality (except for Forged in Fire and This Old House), sitcoms, police procedurals, soaps of any kind, or news.

Oh, and picking on Caillou is low, all kids shows for that age range are insipid, it’s what they like! It’s the older kids shows where you can get judgmental, because some are actually exceptional. We all loved “Avatar: The Last Airbender” but most tween stuff sucked. Fortunately by that age they don’t force you to watch it with them.

1 Like

Yes. If my wife is home in the evening after the kids are in bed, the TV is on and she’s watching it. 9x out of 10 it’s something I don’t want to watch. I DVR nothing because I don’t care what I watch - the only time I ever watch is with her. I just let her pick because there’s really nothing I care enough about to a) know about b) put on. Usually I’m on my laptop or phone so I’m only half paying attention.

1 Like

That’s sad. I’ll go out on a limb and suggest that you don’t care because you never get to watch something you actually like! It’s wonderful to watch something superlative like Westworld or Breaking Bad or any of the quality dramas that make this a golden age of TV.

2 Likes

I’m pretty lazy on top of that all. I do like some series but the thing is by the time the kids are asleep and I can watch something it’s 10:00pm and by then I just want to go to bed anyhow. When they were younger and going to bed earlier I’d pick stuff out. The last series I was really into was Six Feet Under. And boy do I love Nsthan for You. It’s on a very long hiatus – Season Four is coming.

Just googled it as I’d never heard of it, sounds cringy, which is unwatchable to me. Last sitcoms I liked were Younger and Braindead, both where the main characters were basically sane, normal people dealing with unusual circumstances. Why would I want to watch people I’d hate if I met them, which seems to be incredibly popular?

1 Like

Oh it’s cringy. And funny and all get up. Some of the premises are just genius comedically. I can’t get enough of the show and the awkward character he plays just makes it that much better. I am very drowsy at the moment so can’t think too deeply on why cringe factor is funny for some and unbeatable for others.

1 Like

Please give this memo to all the people I know who do nothing but watch it, emulate it, are depressed because they are not a real housewife/Kardashian, and then talk about it (to me!) nonstop and then yell at me when I am not getting impressed. I know I have no filter and say exactly what I think, but I have never yelled at someone because they hated Murdoch Mysteries or thought The Blacklist was stupid.

Fake entertainment is the forefather of fake news and it is sanctioned insanity. I can’t imagine people watching it and not thinking what is the point of investing in people pretending to be showing you their lives as you waste away your own. I can see watching a lot of silly mind-mushers and life sinks, but that’s the only genre that actually concerns me because it has set up a very destructive and misogynistic rig that has its consequences.

But I don’t think that genre is even being close to dead: it’s just time for its next permutation. If Trump decided to air a reality show in the White House tomorrow, everything would be forgotten and forgiven by a lot of people (not all; don’t flame me) in a heartbeat, getting their rights trampled over, but it’s okay, because a circus is a circus.

7 Likes

I have cooked for and waited on a lot of celebrities without a second thought. When I waited on Norm Abram my knees went weak! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That sounds exactly like 24.

I used to watch that religiously with the family in the early post 9/11 times. Shooting a guy in the leg, then punching him in the face until he spilled the beans felt so reliable and justifiable as an “interrogation” technique.

I’m glad I’m not that stupid anymore.

5 Likes

+1 if you instantly heard the show theme at either the name mention or in your case hearing his voice.

Oh, it is on YouTube. All of it.

2 Likes

Just like doctor Oz, who has no business giving out medical advice for anything other than heart surgery. He’s a lot like Ben Carson that way. He is like, an autistic savant- level of good at exactly one thing, and a regular blowhard at everything else. And what he’s good at is heart surgery, like how Carson is good at separating conjoined twins.

It doesn’t matter whether or not they even understand basic things like:

Eating sugar is bad for your teeth
Oil floats on top of water
The sky is blue

They’re not GPs, they don’t keep up with any of the medical literature outside their very specific field, and they have no business as any kind of “guru”.

It makes me fucking sick. Oz advertises homeopathy. And he still has a job. That proves America’s education system has completely failed.

GAAAAAAHHHH

Sorry for not keeping it light.

7 Likes

The Yankee Workshop was a spin-off of This Old House; I saw many more episodes of TOH so I hear its theme. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adventure Time is a goddamn masterpiece.

It features stuff like real-life parallels, real-time puberty of the voice actors (seriously, watch a Season 1 ep then a season 4 ep. Totally different Finn voice, totally different Finn. Then watch the intervening episodes, he very subtly matures over time. But it’s there.)

6 Likes

Yea I didn’t want to bring Oz up because he goes above and beyond even Phil’s pile of shit. He is actively hurting people and hasn’t been disbarreddue to legalese and loopholes ‘oh I’m just PRESENTING these things while wearing scrubs and a lab coat and using my title as doctor for the show. I am not actually endorsing these products who’s makers are paying me money.’

4 Likes