Kellyanne Conway: microwave ovens can turn into cameras but she's not Inspector Gadget

I would love to see the Venn of things that Microwaves can do and cartoon characters that Ms. Conway is not. Human Torch, et al…

1 Like

Now THREE threads!!!

16 Likes

It’s like a virus!

6 Likes

OR - is that just what they want you to think?

5 Likes

The thing is, there are actually ovens (though not, I think, microwave ones) that have cameras inside. So the CIA could be surveilling your dinner with them.

She clearly said she isn’t. By Trump administration precedent, that means she definitely is.

Yuuuup. The Trump administration has displayed a number of behaviors that have only seemed to work out for them accidentally. Trump became president because he said the right combination of gibberish and key words which provoked applause that allowed enough people to project their own views and values onto him. With the media their brand of incompetent idiocy also works because it’s disarming - no one knows how to deal with it.

10 Likes

Well when you only demand the finest most expensive for your staff to use around the house, of course your perspective on what real 99% of American households use will be on the alternative spectrum of reality.

2 Likes

7 Likes

This has turned into an excellent debate about the 2016 campaigns, but – ah, hold on –
[Shouting at microwave] HEY! QUIT TAKING PICTURES AND DO YOUR DAMN JOB!

4 Likes

20 Likes
8 Likes

Great, now they’re trying to say that when Trump said Obama had ‘gone to tapp my phones’ that he was actually talking about other kinds of surveillance, not tapping phones.

Just to throw more confusion into the completely unsubstantiated accusation which is somehow so important for Congress to investigate immediately instead of investigating Russian connections…

9 Likes

I love this. Looking in from the outside, it appears the US has adopted the movie Idiocracy as a how-to manual. I eagerly await the next installment.

5 Likes

It’s distractions all the way down.

3 Likes

The technology is real. We’ve all seen it. Don’t deny it!

5 Likes

The Democrats are far from saintly, Clinton included. The shortwinged grippertwat is also far from saintly, but also an incompetent fool who’s only real accomplishment is to surround himself with white nationalists, racists, and fascists, who are far too pals-y with the far more racist and fascist Putin Inc.

Anyone who couldn’t see that before the election wasn’t paying attention. Unfortunately that included far too many voters. And we will pay the price, you can be sure.

4 Likes

That should be her new official title in all press and public speaking engagements:

Kellyanne Conway: Not in the job of having evidence.

6 Likes

I often wondered how Uncle Gadget even kept his job before his niece entered his life.

4 Likes

If the horse isn’t dead enough, putting it in the microwave will finish the job. Especially if you have to chop it up first.

Trump’s Chief Distraction Officer seems to be mixing up microwave ovens with the idea that you can use microwaves to spy on people by doing things like bouncing them off windows to detect the vibrations caused by speech inside the building (though that’s probably more useful if you’re trying to get DARPA funding than if you’re actually trying to eavesdrop), plus the more recent work about using WiFi strength measurements to notice if somebody’s moving in front of the signal. (The latter won’t work on me. I have cats. They haven’t yet discovered that the WiFi router is nice and warm, but they still walk in front of it if they’re in that room.

4 Likes

The irony being that microwaves are one of the few appliances where they don’t seem to be rushing headlong down the IoT track.

Refrigerator, kind of believable (especially in a few years when someone gets the bright idea to tie facial recognition into healthy eating incentives). TV? Sure, why not? Game Console? Abso-fuckin-loutely.

But no. She’s so incompetent at defence that she goes for the one device that is NOT on the list but is touted by those who think literal mind reading is a thing, the ones from who tinfoil hattery gets its name.

This has to be real stupidity. Nobody writing fiction would go this over the top while still playing it straight… Fiction needs to be believable.

5 Likes

What scares me here is that when she works out that she’s said something stupid, she decides to clarify that she doesn’t KNOW people are spying on Trump through his microwave. Not that… you know… a microwave oven is not a camera.

She’s clearly heard about image data being transmitted by microwave and thinks it means… oh dear gods… I can’t. It’s too sad.

3 Likes