Ken Jeong says stop mocking his knee reflex hammer

Originally published at: Ken Jeong says stop mocking his knee reflex hammer

4 Likes

Every time I see Ken pop up in a really smart role I once again am shocked for a moment that the crazy guy from Hangover is actually a very highly educated man.

And his snark about Carrot Top doctors is a zinger.

8 Likes

No, it’s not useless…Actually, it checks your whole nervous system in many ways to see if your reflexes are intact

It’s true. You can see that the tumors have significantly damaged the nerves in my left leg compared to my right.

4 Likes

It’s useful for most folks, but not for me. I have no reflex response to the hammer test. Never have.

3 Likes

Just your knees, or all the trigger points? Is that called something?

1 Like

I learned yesterday that Peter Winfield, who played Methos on the Highlander TV series, went back to medical school in 2011 for anesthesiology. At University of Vermont, no less (my old hangout yeeeears ago).

Now I kind of want to see a Scrubs-like comedy (that’s actually medically accurate) with both of them.

8 Likes

We use them to check a lot of DTR’s. (Deep tendon reflexes) At ankles, knees, biceps and triceps at the elbow, chin, even a glabellar reflex btween your eyebrows. I have seen folks check reflexes in fingers even. As a pediatrician, i usually can use my finger rather than a hammer, but i still carry one for when i need more oomph.

11 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember my kids pediatrician using his fingers. He was an old doctor who retired when she was 8 or so. But he was a wizard with babies and toddlers, able to do exams and even give shots with little to no tears!

7 Likes

If find it very painful when my doctor uses their mallet to test the nerves in my groin. Maybe I should pay my outstanding medical bills.

2 Likes

Both knees, but if I recall right I did have a reflex response in my elbow. None of my doctors have ever seemed particularly concerned about it.

1 Like

New band name

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.