Ketogenic diets

Citation given in the post you replied to, and fact obvious from experience and easily testable.

You mean your citation is that you’re quoting yourself?

1 Like

No, I mean what I said. One citation was in the post you replied to. I can’t get through paywalls but there have to be more studies out there.

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole report so I didn’t find the page where it says “the stomach rejects anything without enough carbs” so please include the page number. I did find this sentence in the abstract though; Rates of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy were correlated with high intake of macronutrients (kilocalories, protein, fat, carbohydrate, as well as sugars, stimulants, meat, milk and eggs [emphasis added]"

Either way, that is a report about pregnancy, which lots of people are, but there are lots of things that happen to the body during pregnancy that are not typical for nonpregnant people.

1 Like

Did you just claim that @MarjaE has bulimia because of carbs and vomting? You do know that all forms of puking are not bulimia, that it’s a specific psychological issue?

Also, this:

I don’t think that’s alarmist, only pointing out that not everyone’s bodies work the same

1 Like

No. I didn’t. Read the thread above.

Alarmist is saying

Note she didn’t say her stomach.

Scotch pies are the tits.

2 Likes

And I still haven’t heard any explanation of why anyone else’s stomach would behave completely differently than mine. Perhaps someone might have less baseline nausea, or might not require as many carbs, or might be able to handle a wider range of carbs [for example, lactose induces vomiting for some people; too much lactose, fructose, and sucrose can easily be a problem, even if too little of other carbs is also a problem], but there would still be issues with trying to eat with no carbs. Honestly, this is like being told that objects naturally fall to the sky.

I know that everyone’s needs are different. I have allergies, so it is pretty obvious there. I have fructose mal, too, so I can’t handle certain carbs. But with the ketogenic diet, either it is going to be dangerous for some people, or many people, or all people, and advocating it without considering that is also dangerous.

2 Likes

Nope. Not in my (2+ years ketogenic diet) experience. Unless by “the right amount of carbs” you mean almost none at all? I’ve had steak and eggs for every meal with no complaints. I haven’t vomited in years.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that for some people it could be dangerous. Certainly anyone entertaining it should do thorough research, and monitor themselves carefully. The article suggests that it should be done under a doctor supervision.

@MarjaE did point out in the post that this was their experiences with low carb diets, not everyones. I’m finding a hard time finding it alarmist. It might work for you, or others, but not everyone. there is no panacea, because everyone’s bodies are different and need different things.

1 Like

It’s not even a matter of diets. It’s a matter of individual meals.

1 Like

Anyway, this thesis also states that the MCT diet [a form of ketogenic diet] “is associated with several GI side effects including nausea, abdominal cramps occasionai vomiting, and diarrhea” 
 I haven’t read it in full, and I am surprised that the vomiting would be only occasional, but it could involve varying sensitivity.

http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk1/tape9/PQDD_0004/MQ46131.pdf

I’ve been on such a diet for six months, and I have no plans to go off it. I’d encourage self-experimenters at least to read several sources to become aware of deficiencies that can arise once such a dietary change is made. The authors referenced below (Phinney & Volek; Jaminet) are a good start I think.

I have been warned off complete starch restriction by this article, even if authors Phinney and Volek suggest consuming starch will drive ketone levels down. I seem to be realising significant benefits (mood, metabolism, waistline) while consuming 3/4 of a cup of rice every evening (I am a 75kg male).

Someone mentioned epilepsy above. In fact ketogenic diets are interesting for a range of chronic neurological conditions. The reason is that KDs change brain metabolism - the brain starts to run predominantly on fats instead of sugars - and this can be powerfully therapeutic.

2 Likes

The liver problems might be related to excess protein. Most studies seem to support that low-carb diets should tend more toward high-fat than high-protein for optimal health benefits.

Aaaaand I’ll stop here before things get too uncivil, as they tend to. It’s actually taking a lot longer than usual for these subjects in this context.

4 Likes

Its like an old (60s or 70s) diet famous in Poland.
The diet is called “Doctor Kwasniewski’s diet” or recently “Optimal Diet”. It was developed by Jan Kwasniewski MD.

You must eat ridiculous amounts of fat.
For example an sandwich:

• 3 mm bread
  • 3 cm butter
1 Like

An ilustration with principal idea of this diet.

11,8% proteins
9,7 % carbs
78,5%!!! fat

3 Likes

No, she did not. She only made that qualification in a subsequent post.

Like, literally.

2 Likes

Is that really a 78,5% butter and bacon diet? I’m in.