Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes freak out over a toy (I want it too)

Yeah! Instant meme-fuel there.

1 Like

Is there some legal reason they keep using the word/command “convert” instead of “transform”?

2 Likes

My guess is no, they probably used “Convert” to make the voice recognition a bit cleaner. I presume people around the toy will be using the word transformer, and transforming a lot and parsing when someone wants it to change between forms would’ve been a logistical nightmare. Setting it to “Convert” makes it neater for the software to pick up.

4 Likes

That sounds legit…but other reviews show that it can use “transform”. They used “convert” throughout, so maybe they don’t like the word? Either way, I figured it would be more legal versus a linguistics thing.

2 Likes

Interesting, i can think of a few reasons for the why but probably they were given direction to use convert to minimize voice recognition issues like i mentioned before. Speculation though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am gonna guess whomever said it first got it wrong and they both locked in.

3 Likes

Well, here is my theory:

The company Robosen makes a generic transforming robot. If they had made the command “Transform” you can absolutely bet Hasbro would bring the lawsuit hammer out. So they picked a generic, non-trademarked term “convert”.

Then Hasbro licenses their toy to make a Transformers version. But these are still in pre-production, so either they haven’t updated the software to accept the new command yet (they would be foolish not to for the actual Trasnformer), or the cost of doing so was great enough they left it as is.

2 Likes

“Optimus, how much meets the eye?”
“MOAR!!!”

5 Likes

I think I paid about $20 for mine a couple of decades ago; they’re not “vintage” as is being claimed by eBay sellers who are asking anywhere from $80-$220. Bottom line: scam alert.

The one below ($18) is silver in color. Mine is gold. Get yours today!

4 Likes

Yes! The example shown in the pic is definitely that, but my box didn’t look like that, and I chucked it out long ago.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.