Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes freak out over a toy (I want it too)

Originally published at: Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes freak out over a toy (I want it too) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

jaynbobdance

Those hetero-life-mates are awesome.

I do think it speaks volumes on Smith’s character that he has kept helping Mewes, even after he apparently stole from Smith during a relapse. So many people would have just given up on their friend after something like that.

31 Likes

Transformers are way after my childhood but even I have to admit this is damn cool.

8 Likes

I was kind of hoping for an authentic reaction to the toy but really it’s an ad for Hasbro. The toy itself is pretty cool either way

9 Likes

19 Likes

The toy is very impressive. I’m currently working on a much simpler animatronic head, which is a ton of work, and the design gets exponentially more complicated as you add more movements. I’m super curious to know how much they’ll be selling it for – surely it can’t be more than a low four-figure amount, but that would be cheap, considering.

4 Likes

It wasn’t until I had my own kid go through a transformers phase that I realized that the conversion process for many of the toys was intentionally difficult. There were toddler versions of Bumblebee that involved just pushing a single button to do the transformation but then there were versions of Optimus Prime that were like the Architecture Legos version of Transformers and it took 60+ steps in order to transform. They were effectively a puzzle in that respect. It was very strange to see that the way that I had understood you were supposed to be playing with these toys (as basically two action figures in one) was not the way that the manufactures had intended you to play with them.

10 Likes

The Hasbro site says $700.

9 Likes

I am pleasantly surprised to see that Jason Mewes is still on this plane of existence; props to Kevin Smith. :hugs:

@Papasan

The future is a loop of “dun dun dun dun dun” :smiley:

9 Likes

Right? I don’t know if he would still be here without Smith, honestly. I’m glad he is though, funny old weirdo that he is.

7 Likes

Gasp

I must be wildly underestimating how many they’re going to sell

6 Likes

I went to a talk he had at Kansas University, and a lot of it was about his relationship with Mews and its up and downs and how at one point he realized he was an enabler and had to change his actions as well. This was… oh god… I think November 3rd, 1999. I remember it was election night and at one point his wife called asking who he voted for.

Super good story teller. We had a lot of fun.

8 Likes

IIRC - this was developed by another company for a more generic toy, and licensed out to Hasbro to make one shaped like Optimus Prime.

So the hard work of the hardware and software was already done. Though, you can get a generic robot from them for much less. $400.

6 Likes

$699!?

I’ll just have to take my pleasure with this little number… the only TOY toy I own, a Russian tin toy. No batts needed. In horizontal orientation, it runs on the floor by a friction motor. When the pointy end hits an obstruction, a wheeled plank pivots out, raising the rocket to a vertical orientation, at which point a two-piece door with ladder flops out revealing the cosmonaut inside. I think its cool.

20 Likes

Holy bats; if that’s legit, stop using it and sell it o.O’ !

2 Likes

I use the opening 30 seconds of the Terminator Theme as my personal phone ringtone of the most dangerous man I’ve ever known. He’s also one of the nicest, most caring people you’ll ever meet.

3 Likes

Yeah but can you play with it or only tell it do stuff?

2 Likes

The box is magnificent too.

4 Likes

Try this. Not Smith and Mewes, but pretty genuine reaction I think.

https://fb.watch/5xSlYYvKvX/

2 Likes

The drama-queen daughter, with her “faint action”, is even more impressive than the toy :smiley: