Kevin Smith reveals Joker's much darker alternative ending

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/31/kevin-smith-reveals-jokers-m.html

3 Likes

Well, that would have been pointlessly stupid and gratuitously grimdark.

13 Likes

Is this movie worth watching?

3 Likes

is it laptop opened good or laptop closed good ?

1 Like

Not sure if that’s darker, or just dumb.

Maybe once. It really did feel like Taxi Driver with a DC makeover. Although it’s been decades since I watched Taxi Driver.

11 Likes

With a heavy dose of King of Comedy. Actually the script just wrote itself.

4 Likes

I’m taking a big pass on all Batman / Joker etc. Just isn’t that interesting any longer.

13 Likes

I liked it quite a bit, but I’m generally a fan of Joaquin – I think he’s one of the best younger (middle-aged) actors working today.

It also was not as violently gratuitous as I was expecting, based on the review which made it sound like practically a slasher movie. Yes it’s violent, that’s the point, but it is part of the story and is used effectively, if you can deal with violence in movies (I appreciate that it’s not for everyone).

9 Likes

Grimdark. I like this word and will use it

2 Likes

I’m just tired of superhero everything in general.

Especially Batman. It’s been done to death.

The only thing performed in more iterations then Batman is maybe Spider-Man or the King James Bible

7 Likes

I watched it twice, partly because the first time I was too distracted by “wait, is this the same movie everyone had been freaking out about? what the hell had those people been watching??”

2 Likes

Yeah, I was equally as baffled. Perhaps a good chance WB PR was deliberately spreading these ideas to pique interest, in fact I’d be pretty surprised if that’s NOT what it was.

2 Likes

After watching, I honestly thought the film was so awful, in so many ways, that it only could have been made as a deliberate choice to mock the audience and contemporary cinema in general.

In this context, Joaquin phoenix demonstrated his true talent by brilliantly performing the role of a bad actor in a bad movie with a bad script for a bad audience.

2 Likes

It seems a little unfair to have all of these alternative endings for movies out there these days.

When anyone does an analysis of the movie, do they take into account all these alternates, so do they just say “the movie is the movie” and ignore them? (Even when YouTube is flooded with “deleted scenes”.)

1 Like

Eh, I’ll watch a Spiderman flick if (and only if) Tom Holland is wearing the spandex.

3 Likes

Yep. Any character with the surname “man” is immediately off the list

2 Likes

Only movie ever to do the alternate ending well was Clue.

And the only way to watch Clue is with all three endings.

8 Likes

I think that’dve been a pretty cool ending… well more funny than cool, imo.
Especially because most of the general public doesn’t understand the ‘multiple universes’ and all the various ‘world’ incarnations within the comic book industry so there’d be a general freak out about erasing Batman before he Batmanned - and that’d be funny.

PS - Here’s a fun vid for all who’ve seen the movie
(there be spoilers):

2 Likes

It’s funny you bring this up. I’m not the world’s biggest fan of “reboots,” but it finally hit me that it’s really not at all different than what’s been happening in the comics industry for, well, forever. I realized reboots for comic book movies are not really the end of the world. :grin:

Edit: That video is awesome and basically 100% correct on every note lol. I still enjoyed the movie but I won’t lie, I had my bar set reeeaaally low. heheh

2 Likes