Keyboard with only the letters of the alphabet and a space bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/25/keyboard-with-only-the-letters.html

5 Likes

no period question mark

8 Likes

Punctuation is for losers.

6 Likes

this is a fascinating thing but it still has its fair portion of impractical functions most notably it has a button for that symbol twixt d and f which i can do without in fact its months now that i had any inclination to apply said symbol and it is is only improving my writing so in conclusion dont bring that sad minimalism to my yard boy ill show you how to simplify qwrty fashion mic drop

7 Likes

Obligatory FIFY

13 Likes
2 Likes

The Palm keyboard was far more functional and with only a few extra keys. In addition to letters, it had arrow, Control, Command, Alt, Backspace, Tab, punctuation marks and a couple of others, plus two function keys that turned the QWERTY row into either numbers or symbols. I could easily transcribe meeting proceedings with it.

Not bad for something you could carry in a jacket pocket.

5 Likes

But what if I want to be a loser?

2 Likes

And the utility of such a device is what, exactly? Are keyswitches in such short supply that extreme hardware minimalism is necessary?

Is there such a thing as stunt device design?

1 Like

Another crackpot keyboard LOL! Where’s Rob…

…oh, oops. Hey big guy.

5 Likes

Sorta like this machine, but who needs a spacebar?

4 Likes

That should make it fun typing words like pizazz (piA) or zigzag (IGag).

2 Likes

Would you be possibly trying to avoid a singular glyph?

2 Likes

I’m missing something – doesn’t your Cormac Keyboard have to include a hyphen key?

1 Like

Yes, and keyboards are a surprisingly rich source of them. Partly because it is fairly easy to get open source firmware to do all manner of interesting things: QMK

I kind of want to make a home made N52 style keyboard…something with shift/alt/control in easy thumb reach…

2 Likes

3 Likes

You lose  

2 Likes

I already have one of those keyboards. It happens to be surrounded by other keys that I also use. !@#$%^&*()_+123456789<>/? among others.

5 Likes

The Manifestotron 5000!

Perfect for incoherent block of text manifestos. Just the sales to Breitbart alone will be worth a fortune.

3 Likes

Not on my watch.

3 Likes