KFC pauses 'finger lickin' good' slogan over coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/kfc-pauses-finger-lickin-g.html

KFC blurred the slogan on old billboards and signs in a cheeky YouTube video

1 Like

hahahhahahahah. i mean… if your hands are so infected you can’t lick them, you probably shouldn’t be eating at all. wash your dang hands and its not a problem.

6 Likes

NEW SLOGAN: “It’s forkin’ delicious.”

9 Likes

Came here to say this.

It’s a food you eat with your hands. Either they’re clean enough that licking your fingers is safe, or you need to put down the chicken, wash your hands, and get new chicken.

4 Likes

wow so all this time the slogan was not about licking your own fingers ?!?

6 Likes

I seriously wish they’d bring back their sanitary wipes. The one thing I truly miss about fast food in the 70s.

4 Likes

The slogan is and always was gross, so no big loss there.

1 Like

Plus, you can’t contract a virus by eating it. If you touched your eyes in the process, perhaps, and I’m sure doctors wouldn’t recommend licking your fingers just because of the collateral contact. But it does speak to the idea that a lot of people think you can catch COVID by eating food with the virus on it (hence a lot of obsessive produce washing and such).

1 Like

Yes you can
https://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/Viruses_in_food_MRA.pdf?ua=1

2 Likes

An immune system in the slogan that was infected by the coronavirus.

Sure, but even that paper states that catching a respiratory illness (SARS-CoV at the time) is rare through food. Which, I believe, was their point, given the topic at hand being the likelihood of catching COVID by licking one’s fingers.

Other viruses are still available. And the WHO advice is still to avoid touching anywhere on your face.

• Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and infect you.

until the covid times i was going on the idea that the more germs i let myself encounter naturally the stronger my immune system would be. I think there is a logic to that - to not living in too chemically sterile of an environment. Maybe that’s true of a majority of germs we come into contact with on a daily basis, But some of these particular viruses like Covid are really friggin bad and i guess we still don’t know the long term effects of it, even if you recover or have a mild case… so what do i know…

2 Likes

I heard a report from Australia that said that the flu deaths were distinctly lower this season and the cause was put down to extra cleaning, distancing and, sadly, that some of those who did not die of flu had already died of Covid-19.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.