KFC's idea of honey is this bag of glop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/12/kfcs-idea-of-honey-is-this-b.html

6 Likes

Well it does say Honey Sauce… still HFCS + sugar + honey + fructose… and less than 2% molasses. I think that covers all the bases for a diabeetus in a packet.

16 Likes

They could call is something like “A Memory of Honey” in some fancy font. Maybe serve the biscuits on a raw square of corrugated cardboard to complete the effect.

16 Likes

Meh. Honey and HFCS are already pretty much the same thing.

5 Likes

I gave up on ever going to that place when the workers at the local establishment forgot that they needed to be cooking their various food products at dinner time, so customers wouldn’t have to wait 20 minutes for their fast food. So I’m not surprised that they have to minimize costs, after losing me and several other customers.

3 Likes

It’s Honey Sauce. Why would you expect it to be pure honey?

Save your outrage for “Maple Syrup”

4 Likes

I get unpasteurized honey from the local farmer’s market, but I don’t know if I’d use it on KFC.

3 Likes

Maybe they should call it “I can’t believe it’s not honey”?

You sure it’s not really Pooh’s “Hunny” instead?

giphy-84

7 Likes

Still not a scary as the “Buttery Spread.”

17 Likes

“Sweet Goo That Looks Like Piss.” is already trademarked by Popeyes. :neutral_face:

10 Likes

Food engineering is a field I sort of wish I’d studied, but mostly in a morbid curiosity sort of way. Thankfully we have things like labelling laws and Wikipedia.

6 Likes

Spoiler alert: The rest of KFC’s foodstuff is just as gross.

6 Likes

7% honey doesn’t really serve any purpose other than as a vegan repellent (which seems redundant for KFC, unless someone is weirdly drawn to their corn and possibly the beans) (though they should make a version of that popcorn chicken product with tofu nugs, I mean you’re only buying it to get the coating, why kill).

If you’re going to make futuristic science food, don’t pin your success on tricking people into thinking it’s the exact opposite. Call it Tasty Chemsauce, and make it so that people will say “Tasty Chemsauce? My favorite!”

4 Likes

My take.

P.S. I’m finger lickin’ some honey sauce right now!

2 Likes

I read that part of the original business genius of KFC was that Harlan Sanders worked out a deep-frying process that would make the tougher, older chickens that had lived past their useful life as egg producers palatable enough to eat. So even from the beginning the chain’s profitability hinged on making do with cheap substitutes for the ingredients that would be served at a traditional restaurant.

9 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

14 Likes

So bee puke isn’t vegan?

3 Likes

No, it isn’t.

I can’t imagine this is the reason vegan’s aren’t dining at KFC though.

2 Likes

“Advanced Honey Substitute” would be a good name for it as well.

4 Likes

I’ve been told by one hippie that “honey is slavery” they got yelled at pretty hard by a different bee-keeping hippie at the same folk festival.

Neither of them had bathed in a while. It was fun to see them nearly get in a fistfight over the ethical implications of using a product insects weren’t going to even use most of anyway.

9 Likes