Kickstarter to digitally erase the rat from the end of The Departed

Which is funny, since the rat was digitally inserted in the first place, along with the view.

2 Likes

I walked out of the theater back in the day.

Personally, I think of it as a very dark comedy:

1 Like

You think I would narrow down Scorcese’s rather impressive film credentials down to just 3 films if I had NOT watched them recently (and in fact regularly)? What am I, an asshole?

Most films “don’t hold up”. From special effects, sound, or costuming advancements leaving some things looking rather foolish; to social advancements leaving many a story line or character development feeling shallow or sickening…it is difficult for many movies to keep that new car smell after a decade. Re-watch Star Wars…we didn’t see the issues as 7 yr olds that we can now see as 40 yr olds. Then a movie that does not have any business being good (Starship Troopers) is just as fun with a bowl of popcorn today as it was in the 90’s.

It’s the rare bird that truly holds up over time.

I am torn on flagging this or not…going to ask you to clarify before doing so.

First…ripping apart an entire generation and making assumptions about said generation as being all the same is the kind of sweeping generalization that BBS rules frown upon. So are you being snarky and took it a bit too far (to which I’d suggest edits to that post) or are you being entirely serious (to which your comment is in danger of probably being eaten)?

Second…you have no idea how old this guy is. He might very well be a Gen X member…so do you want to now make over arching comments about that one too?

Honestly…I can understand a bit of hostility about a kickstarter to do this…but as I mentioned above…if THAT is the hill he wants to die on…sure, go for it. I want to die on the hill where I sip my bourbon and laugh at the stupidity I see on other hills. It’s more fun and a much better way to pass the time IMHO.

That’s some fine satire, I’ll give you that, but who exactly is your audience?

7 Likes

Nonsense. Hollywood studios have been ruining the work of truly great directors for decades with invasive editing. Just ask Orson Wells.

6 Likes

13 Likes

To be fair, he has a really good point–just look at all the movies millennials have insisted on editing long after the fact. Noted millenial George Lucas insisted that Greedo should shoot first, and Steven Spielberg (born in 1992, if I remember correctly) went back and changed the agents’ guns to radios in ET. Why do these damn millennials insist on coming up with ideas like this!?

5 Likes

We need a Kickstarter to stop George Lucas from screwing with his own films!

4 Likes

Didn’t Disney spend 4 billion dollars to do that already?

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with manifesting God via the Internet. Sort of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, but instead of creating new life they summoned God (and the Devil).

1 Like

I think “The Departed” compares well with “Infernal Affairs” (on which it was based), but then I think Scorsese’s “Cape Fear” improves on the original too.

2 Likes

Yes to the “Cape Fear” comparison, but “Infernal Affairs” is one of my all-time favourite movies, so I don’t really fancy spending a couple of hours going “No, no, not like that!”
The sequels are well worth a look too, but not quite as awesome as the original.

2 Likes

Is this like when critics pretended that the robed figures digitally inserted in the end of “Eyes Wide Shut” ruined an otherwise perfect movie in order to respect the recently deceased Stanley Kubrick, and ignored that it was two-and-a-half hours of boring weirdness and bad acting either way?

An effects editor can’t do anything about it that a regular editor can’t do.

The rat was so unrealistic, at that height and in that area one of the redtails from the Common would’ve grabbed it before it could take two steps.

Wow! This really triggered you, huh? You seem very sensitive.

5 Likes

Hey! I’m reasonable, too… yet biased! I liked The Aviator (perhaps because I’m connected to that industry), and Gangs of New York (because I’m from there).

As to Kundun, I enjoy Asian films, so I’ll have to try that one now! See what you started? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, I liked Synecdoche NY, but it took two viewings to understand and accept the plot/editorial conceits.

1 Like