Kickstarting laser-cut RPG terrain

[Permalink]

Not exactly comparable but I used to use the Hirst Arts moulds for plaster of Paris:

http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/molds.html

Can’t find the UK webshop I used to use anymore. Has been a while…

Actually I did some more digging and it wasn’t plaster of Paris but something more akin to dental plaster. Used to buy it by the 5kg tub. Hmm. Wonder what I did with them?

Cory, FWIW unless you were trying to be funny, I think it should be:
As with all crowdfunded projects, you should be prepared for the eventuality possibility …

This just makes me want to make my own.

Good point. For unpainted generic parts that you want several times, molds seem like a better deal as long as you don’t mind the inconvenience.

Moulding is frequently underrated compared to fancier fabrication techniques. It won’t get you from mesh to matter in a single bound; but (if you already have one of something) it’ll give any 3d-scan then 3d print/CNC machine/laser cut/whatever scheme a good run for its money.

(edit: one that that would be pretty cool, fairly well suited to laser cutters, and hard to duplicate with pure moulding, would be automated application of procedurally generated uniqueness to parts. With a laser cutter, you pay more for greater power and for more time, so making very shallow ‘score marks’, say to emulate the texture of brick joints, or cracks, or blaster-pockmarks, is cheaper than using a laser as a general-purpose freeform cutting tool. With a bit of software cleverness and a knowledge of the shapes you will be inscribing, it seems like it should be doable to generate ‘brickwork’ or ‘fractures in crumbling masonry’ or similar things that shouldn’t be identical across your gameworld. You could still use the cheap bulk of moulded plaster or the like; but get the benefit of global uniqueness for surfaces that should have individual character, and not look like they were stamped out of a mould…)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.