Kim Davis isn't doing her job. Again

Better/worse than printers?

Despite the efforts of the writers of driver software (I’m looking at YOU, HP) I’d have to say worse.

2 Likes

Good to know!

23 Likes

Around here we call that Tuesday.

Well, you definitely don’t rule out incompetence. As I read Davis’s responses, it seems to me that she’s actually trying to comply with the request, but she doesn’t really know how to use a computer. The time estimate is probably for hitting “print screen” 6000 times. Totally serious.

7 Likes

Hey, somebody has to reshuffle BB’s layout and avatars every couple of months. It’s not gonna do it itself y’know.

4 Likes

It’s pretty trivial just to strip emails back to plain-text only. Same outcome as the print/faxing except without the wholesale waste of paper and ink…

2 Likes

You know the kids these days, with their loud music, their hula hoops and their fax machines.

6 Likes

But she doesn’t need to print anything. And you must know this. She’s being difficult on purpose. It’s plain as the days.

Plus, it would actually match the law’s requirements for records to be provided in ASCII text format unless they’re stored in a different format (and then provided in that same different format if it meets the requester’s requirements).

1 Like

No one is asking to see all of her emails. She is being asked to provide her professional emails relating to a particular event. There shouldn’t be anything in them that she doesn’t want other people seeing. Work email isn’t hers, it belongs to the people, via the government

2 Likes

Back in the '90s my grandmother had a file cabinet wherein she filed a printout of every single email she received (in case she needed them later). But that was like 18 years ago, and it was my elderly grandmother. WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE and Kim Davis is basically an “official document person”. Who thought this crazy person could be EVEN WORSE at her job?

8 Likes

I think you get exiled to corsica.

2 Likes

I worked with a professional administrative assistant not that many (13?) years ago who had all her documents and templates on their own 3.5" floppies, organised and stored in a big filing cupboard, just like they were paper documents. When asked why she did this, rather than use our fully backed-up corporate network, she replied “I’m just more comfortable with this way”. It bothered me in ways that are hard to describe.

11 Likes

Of course you’re making excuses for her active malice.

Not saying she’s not also incompetent, but in this case she’s attempting to cause trouble for her critics.

1 Like

Yes, I know about legal discovery, and it is completely incomparable to FOIA requests (which I have also been tangentially involved with in the past). Discovery only comes out of a lawsuit, and the opposition is pretty much only interested in what is going to be useful evidence in a court case. Yes, if you said something stupid or unprofessional in the context of an email on the topic of the lawsuit you could get embarrassed, but it is nowhere near the same league as a journalist looking to get a story. Also, it will cost you way more than $1500 to get to that point.

1 Like

Not as bad as the UK :slight_smile: You can’t donate if you spent more than a cumulative 3 months in the UK during 1980-1996! (due to mad cow disease)

I had a similar one back when i worked in IT tech support.

Call comes in from a department having trouble reading a floppy disk.
Turned out it was some vitally-important piece of info that was stored on a single floppy disk with no other backups existing (like your example) because “they didn’t trust the network”
They were extremely lucky in that a scandisk run on the floppy disk fixed it enough for the data to be read, but the dept head got called in for ‘a chat’ afterwards :smile:

5 Likes

“All emails from the past month”, later amended to also include all emails related to the pope? WTF does the pope have to do with it? Presumably if she met with the pope as a private citizen she shouldn’t have sent any emails about it from her work email address, but are you really going to complain about that?

[quote] There shouldn’t be anything in them that she doesn’t want other people seeing. Work email isn’t hers, it belongs to the people, via the government
[/quote]

Yes I know that, and if you had read what I wrote you would realize that. I said “that is what you sign up for” when you work for the government. I know that her work computer, email account, and so forth are property of the people. But in this instance it is not clear to me that the people’s interest is actually being served so much as a particular journalist trying to do a character attack and not to discover any pertinent information about her wrongdoings. She hasn’t exactly hidden her crimes after all, she appeared on TV with mike huckabee playing the rocky theme song.

1 Like

Well it’s her meeting with the pope they’re trying to find out about

2 Likes